No Bootable Device - Aspire S7

Options
while-true
while-true Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have an Aspire S7 391. During a windows 10 update it ended up on a black screen with "No Bootable Device -- Please restart system" and if I reboot I end up at the same screen.

I tried the recovery USB drive. None of the automated fixed work. I can get a console and look at the disk with diskpart and chkdsk. Chkdsk found many errors, which it claimed to correct. The console is a bit eratic, sometimes I can see the SSD, sometime just the USB recovery disk. I tried 

I tried switching to legacy bios. The Raid0 setup showed an error. I deleted the raid disks and re-created them. Then I switched back to UEFI. When I try to "Reset Your PC" from the recovery USB it gets to 2% and then says error, 

I used diskpart to clear the windows drive, didn't help. I made a Windows 10 USB drive and tried to reload windows from that, it stopped with an error about not being able to partition the drive.

I've given up on saving my files at this point. I'll try just about anything to get windows running on this machine again. Any ideas?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    You did a good troubleshot!
    In my opinion can be a bad SSD, maybe one of the 2 layers is having some issue or the SSD controller.(if i remember correctly, you have a double layer SSD with an integrated controller that can enable RAID array).

Maybe you can try to destroy the RAID array and check with diskpart or scandisk the single layers for errors.
    I'm not an Acer employee.