Is the R7 Model discontinued?

Options
jra166
jra166 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

With the anouncement of the R13 and R14, is the R7 as we know it dead?  The keyboard pulled forward, amazing hinge, and trackpad behind the keyboard was a revelation to me, but it looks lik Acer is responding to the critisism of the media with the R13 and R14.

Will we see a new, or revised, R7.. or should we simply accept that the new designs are the R7's replacement? 

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I found a page that does say R7-572G-54208G1TA has been discontinued. I don't know if that goes for all R7s.

http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/PID-IP078662(Courts)/Computers/Notebooks/ACER-156IN-INTEL-CORE-I54200U-8GB-WIN-81-TOUCH-R7572G54208G1TA

Here's the R7-571

http://www.expansys.com/acer-aspire-r7-571g-15-6fhd-ipstouchscreen-i7-3537u-8gb-500gb-hdd-nvidia-gt-750m-win-8-252949/

It looks like the R7 has been discontinued. 

• jra166

Tinkerer

Options

The just annouced Aspire Switch 12... has a Trackpoint!  Is this the first Acer device to use a Trackpoint?  Acer... please tell me you are rebuilding the R7, but with a trackpoint instead of the trackpad.  This would have been the only thing that could have made the R7 better.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I don't think they're going to do that with the R7.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi jra166,

Sorry it took so long to get the answers. While we don't have any units currently shipping with the Ezel hinge like the R7-571 and R7-572, I've been told that it isn't an indication that it won't be back. While the R7-571 and R7-572 are not long be sold through Acer, the R7-371T and a couple other variations are available for the holiday season.

I actually first got my hands on the R7-371T this week and I like the feel of the 'wire' hinge design. I was worried when I first saw pictures of it, but they're very solidly built.

I wish I had more info on the Switch 12, but we'll get to see more soon.

Hope this helps,

Cory

• jra166

Tinkerer

Options
    Cory, this was more information than i expected and thank you for seeking out answers. i was afraid some of the negative reviews early on had forced them into seeking other options. i will keep my eye out.