Is R7-572 screen resistant to stylus pen scratches?

Options
cepsipola
cepsipola Member Posts: 8 New User

I'm considering buying the R7-572 primarily for its pen functionality.

I cannot find any information about the type of surface used on its display. I have a very old laptop which I used for years with a wacom pen. Its screen is heavily scratched and marred from years of pen use.

Does the R7-572 use gorilla glass or similar to protect its screen? I'm concerned that heavy pen use will damage or scratch the surface of the screen. I have also read that using a screen protector will reduce the sensitivity of the pen, something that would be a considerable negative for me.

Best Answer

• cepsipola
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's been well over a month since I've been using my R7-572 for drawing, so I thought I'd come back and share my thoughts on the screen.

I am happy to report that extensive drawing (I'm a professional artist) on the screen has not resulted in any scratches yet. I should also note that I do not use any screen protectors on my R7's display as those would interfere with my drawing.

So my experience so far is that the R7'-572's screen is durable and will not scratch with extensive use of the Acer stylus pen.

If anyone has any questions concerning this, or anything related to using the R7 for art creation, please feel free to ask!

Answers

• zcollier
    zcollier Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I noticed the date stamp as today, 8/22 on this message. Where are you looking at getting an R7-572? I bought one a few weeks ago and had to return it within a week due to premature hardware failure and I haven't been able to find a new one anywhere else. It's not in best buy or online that I can find. I'm bummed because I really liked it Smiley Sad

• Colchicine
    Colchicine Member Posts: 37 New User
    Options

In all the research I did for this computer, I never came across someone saying anything about screen scratches from the pen.  Nevertheless, I bought this screen protector.
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E71B0Y8/ref=smi_www_rcolv2_go_smi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true

Also, consider that different pens have different tips.  A coworker of mine got the R7 and ordered a $10 HTC pen.  It has a much fatter/blunt tip compared to my $50 Acer pen.  If I were to do it again, I'd get the HTC.

• cepsipola
    Options

In Canada, you can get the R7 572 from Future Shop. It's the 8GB + 750GB HD. Canada Computers also has the 8GB and the 7GB model.

• cepsipola
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I also haven't come across any reports of screen scratches caused by the pen stylus yet. My biggest concern is that the screen surface of the display models that I have seen appears to be plastic, and not glass. Pen pressure is really important to me as I am an illustrator and I've read that screen protectors can affect this.

• cepsipola
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's been well over a month since I've been using my R7-572 for drawing, so I thought I'd come back and share my thoughts on the screen.

I am happy to report that extensive drawing (I'm a professional artist) on the screen has not resulted in any scratches yet. I should also note that I do not use any screen protectors on my R7's display as those would interfere with my drawing.

So my experience so far is that the R7'-572's screen is durable and will not scratch with extensive use of the Acer stylus pen.

If anyone has any questions concerning this, or anything related to using the R7 for art creation, please feel free to ask!