HowTo (safely) disconnect graphics dock (using R7-372T)?

Options
Geldaril
Geldaril Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I recently bought the R7-372T together with the graphics dock. Connecting the dock works perfectly, just plugin and after some seconds the connected lcds are used es configured.

My problem is: How can i (safely) disconnect the dock? Unplugging it while windows is running causes a crash (bluescreen). If windows is in standby oder suspend to disk and the dock is unplugged, it never wakes up (long power button press to reboot). The only way seems to be: Shutdown, disconnect and boot system again.

In my case this solution is not acceptable. I change workplace at least twice a day, often even more. Therefore i'm depending on my running systems (opend apps, unsaved changes, ...).

A really great solutio would be like disconnecting a memory stick (using the icon tray). There is thunderbolt icon tray, but only shows the connected devices.

Thanks for your advice!

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

In Device Manager>Display adapters when connected to the dock you should have two adapters listed: one internal (e.g. Intel) and a second with USB (mine has ...USB3.0 DV Docking Station).

If you Disable (not uninstall) the USB adapter control should revert to your R7. When you want to use the external display just Enable the driver.

That method works on my R3.

• Geldaril
    Geldaril Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks a lot for your advice. Yesterday in the late evening i found an other solution:

I installed the newest BIOS and Thunderbolt-Firmware Acer listed on the Website (till that point i thought the acer care center pre installed would notify me if there any updates, but it didn't).

After updates these two i can now plug and unplug the dock while windows is running without any problem or bluescreen. One Problem remains: If the system is in stanyby oder suspend to ram while unpluging the dock, it does not wake up (black screen, running fans). But i can deal with it.