Hi,I have R3-131T with 32Gb SSD. Windows 10 takes 20Gb. How can I reduce it?

Options
mlowenthal
mlowenthal Member Posts: 3 New User

I have ACER r3-131T with 32Gb SSD. WIndows 10 now occupies 20Gb ! So I am short of space and updates will not download. I have an external HDD with a recovery image. Question: How can I reduce the size of Windows 10 ? Are there recovery files that I could delete, or Drivers, etc I could move to external HHD?

Thanks a lot.

Michael

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Have you performed a Disk Cleanup ? (File Exporer>right click on the (C: ) drive> select Disk Cleanup. When initial pass completes select Clean up system files. When done scroll through the selections and I select everything big. If never done you can gain several GB.

• mlowenthal
    Options

Thanks. I have tried what you say, but though the click botton is there it does not seem to do anything. Of course, I have already gone thru the list of app+programs and deleted everything I could. My concern now is the op.system. When you look at properties, in file manager, for "windows" directory it says:

size= 19.1Gb      size in disk=  12.3 Gb     Contains=  112,662 files   21,994 folders

I am sure I could shift a lot of it to my external HHD and free up space.

Perhaps I will ask Microsoft.

Thanks anyway.

Michael

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

OK, first open a DOS box (cmd.exe) at C: and enter dir/a.

Do you have any very large .SYS files ? Any directories with a .OLD extension ?

Also are you trying to install from the Internet or from a Flash Drive ? Using a flash drive takes much less memory.

We can start there.

• mlowenthal
    Options

thanks a lot for your email. I had a look but no big files .sys and none .old.

Only Hyberfil.sys is 800Mb and Pagefile.sys is 700Mb

They are probably inside the windows directory.

I imagine other people have this problem as you can buy PC with small SSD. I was hoping someone must have worked out that you can shift 80% of the drivers, install files and overlays into a pendrive and free the SSD.

I am not trying to install at the moment. I will look into that next.

Thanks.

Michael