Fn keys are locked on. Press M and get 0, press L and get 3. How do I fix this? Acer R3-471T-76BM,

georgeg
georgeg Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2021 in Swift and Spin Series

Like the subject says, suddenly the Fn keys are locked on and I can't turn them off.  I need a fix for this.

Laptop is Acer R3-471T-76BM, s/n NXMP4AA019***********

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello,

Do you have Acer Launch Manager in Programs and Features? If yes, which version?

France
  • georgeg

No, I don't.  The closest thing listed under Acer is Acer Care Center which seems to be concerned with updates and tuning the computer.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

georgeg wrote:

No, I don't.  The closest thing listed under Acer is Acer Care Center which seems to be concerned with updates and tuning the computer.

Hi,

Go to Device Manager, expand keyboards, right click the Standard P/S2, go to driver tab and uninstall it, reboot and let Windows install the driver.

• georgeg

OK, that fixed the problem.  I'll have to remember that in case it ever happens again.  Thanks a million.

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓

Hi,

You are welcomeSmiley Very Happy Please mark the thread as solved, thanks.

• splitsecond
    splitsecond Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

sorry but this is unecessary procedure you are recommending. the solution is to pres Fn + F11(numlock).

the keyboard has option (numlock) to be used as numeral keyboard. you toggle it off and on with fn+f11

• Abbvie
    Abbvie Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have similar problem, if I press specific letters - not all of them - the result is a number. Does fn+f11 fix this problem or not? Does anyone know please?
  • brummyfan2
    edited May 2018
    Abbvie said:
    I have similar problem, if I press specific letters - not all of them - the result is a number. Does fn+f11 fix this problem or not? Does anyone know please?
    Hi,
    Have you reinstalled the Keyboard driver? If not, go to Device manager, expand Keyboards, highlight and right click Standard PS/2 keyboard, uninstall this device, reboot and let Windows install the driver.
  • Abbvie
    Abbvie Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks very much, Fn+F11 worked for me. The problem is resolved
  • brummyfan2
    Abbvie said:
    Thanks very much, Fn+F11 worked for me. The problem is resolved
    You are welcome :)
  • Etiksha
    Etiksha Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem, and on expanding the keyboard I have two options having same name as “HID Keyboard Device”. Kindly help which one needs to be uninstalled 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,662 Trailblazer
    Just do both. They'll come back after the reboot so it should be safe.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sirisha
    sirisha Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi.. i tried all the possibilities but nothing is working. my laptop is acer swift 3. i tried to uninstall keyboard driver and no use. i tried fn keys and no use. still i am having the same issue. if i press i it showing 5. help me resolve this
  • FyreBoyeYT
    FyreBoyeYT Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    m = 0 right? you probably pressed the NumLock key by accident. just press it again and 0 will be M again.
    robut - Loving Acer User

• marleyxo
    marleyxo Member Posts: 1 New User
    sirisha said:
    Hi.. i tried all the possibilities but nothing is working. my laptop is acer swift 3. i tried to uninstall keyboard driver and no use. i tried fn keys and no use. still i am having the same issue. if i press i it showing 5. help me resolve this
    I have a swift 3 as well and am having many issues with the keyboard and none of these solutions have worked for me
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,662 Trailblazer
    @marleyxo it would be best if you started your own thread with details about your issue. Do you also have a R3-471T-76BM model (I'm guessing not, since that's not a Swift 3)? Which language is your keyboard? Which keys aren't working and what do they actually do?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • WandileS
    WandileS Member Posts: 1 New User

This was the fix for me after trying all the other options without success

• MrBlue
    MrBlue Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, everyone i am also facing the same issue, finally i got the solution.

Issue: NumLock is enabled, causing problems.
    Solution: Press Fn + NumLk to enable/disable NumLock. On the Acer TravelMate P214-53 laptop, the NumLk key is located on the F12 key.