Extremely slow browsing on Swift 3

Options
yulnike
yulnike Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I purchased a Swift 3 with 256ssd about 2 weeks ago. Since day 1, web browsing has been extremely slow, sometimes taking up to 30 seconds to load basic pages like google.com. My internet connection (120Mbps) works perfectly fine on all of my other devices. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

Answers

• yulnike
    Options
    Brummyfan2, thanks for your reply. I followed your suggestion but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue. Web browsing with egde, chrome, Firefox is still unacceptably slow. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Go to start, right click Command Prompt( in Windows system) select Run as Admin, type the following:

ipconfig /flushdns

Then try switching to different dns address, either Open dns or Google dns.

Go to Network and Sharing(right click WiFi icon in taskbar), click your WiFi, click Properties, highlight Internet Protocol version 4, Properties, select use the following DNS address radio button and change the address.

Open DNS: as in my snip

Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 primary, 8.8.4.4 secondary.

Capture.JPG

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

First, I'd run the test at http://www.speedtest.net/ to see the actual connection speed. If low Is it possible you have connectede to the wrong router ?

Second, I'd use a third party too like InSSIDer from Metageek to analyze what connection you have, whether other routers are stepping on the same channel, what is the receive strangth of your router (in db - lower number is better), & make any needful adjustments.

With this information you should be able determine what is going on. Anything else is guesswork.

Fortunately I can connect all of my devices to a gigabit ethernet line (RJ-45) to get a good comparison between wired and WiFi.

• yulnike
    Options
    Brummyfan2 and Padgett, thank you both for your reply. I'm currently out of town and don't have the swift 3 with me. I'll try out your suggestions tomorrow night when I get home. Thanks again for your help!
  • yulnike
    Options
    Hello Brummyfan2 and Padgett,
    I ran the speed test and it got up to 124mbps. I've also flushed dns, and switched dns address. Unfortunately the problem is still ongoing on all 3 Web browsers. I'm running out of ideas as to what the problem could be and if it can be fixed Smiley Sad
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Go to Settings, Network and Internet, WiFi, click Manage known networks, if you see any of your neighbours' networks, click them and select "ignore". Might help.

Untitled.jpg

• Shin
    Shin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I browse on internet and show this useful article test.
    "We can only measure shockingly low speeds of around 115 Mbps via iperf (Server & Client)."
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Swift-3-SF314-51-731X-Notebook-Review.187931.0.html
  • Koy
    Koy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi guys, 

try to disable auto tuning on windows.

The auto tuning slows the wifi.

run cmd on windows as administrator, and type the following command : 

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

this should fix your wifi problems

• il0na
    il0na Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hey,

Have you already solved this problem?

Unfortunately, I have the same!
    Just bought the Laptop a week ago. The WLAN in my parents' house works really good with this laptop but not with mine?! Can't figure out what's the problem!
    The laptop and WLAN router are placed like with my old laptop - and all worked fine there!

Do you have a solution?
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Heck, I only have a 24Mbps download link and everything is crisp including video. My experience is that over about 10Mbps it is the DE servers that affect performance more than the link speed.

Also seems like speedtests are optomised and it is the server RTT that is more important particularly if dropping a lot of packets. This can happen A Lot if you have another router close by on the same channel. Know 1, 6, and 11 are the only clear channels but since my environment is crowded I usually run on 9 since no one else is.

• Ujjwal123
    Ujjwal123 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    yulnike said:

I purchased a Swift 3 with 256ssd about 2 weeks ago. Since day 1, web browsing has been extremely slow, sometimes taking up to 30 seconds to load basic pages like google.com. My internet connection (120Mbps) works perfectly fine on all of my other devices. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

Hey I also own Swift 3 and had same problem. But the thing that worked for me is:
    netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt
    netsh winsock reset
    ipconfig /flushdns
    Try running above command one by one in command prompt as administrator.Then restart pc. Also if that doesn't work download the latest driver from intel for your model.Uninstall the previous driver from device manager and restart. Then install new driver. Then try above steps in command prompt.
    It totally worked for me.

• Ujjwal123
    Ujjwal123 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    il0na said:
    Hey,

Have you already solved this problem?

Unfortunately, I have the same!
    Just bought the Laptop a week ago. The WLAN in my parents' house works really good with this laptop but not with mine?! Can't figure out what's the problem!
    The laptop and WLAN router are placed like with my old laptop - and all worked fine there!

Do you have a solution?
    Hey I also own Swift 3 and had same problem. But the thing that worked for me is:
    netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt
    netsh winsock reset
    ipconfig /flushdns
    Try running above command one by one in command prompt as administrator.Then restart pc. Also if that doesn't work download the latest driver from intel for your model.Uninstall the previous driver from device manager and restart. Then install new driver. Then try above steps in command prompt.
    It totally worked for me.