Let's Get Social!

Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan Touchpad problems after Windows 8.1 upate

SOLVED
New User

I recently updated to Windows 8.1 and noticed that my Elan Touchpad features no longer worked at boot-up and that the dynamic icon was missing from the toolbar.  I went into the "mouse" settings in the control panel and noticed that the driver was still loaded.  More interestingly, after hitting OK, the dynamic icon appears and the gestures worked.

Of course, I tried to update to the Elan drivers, but upon doing so, I noticed that the gestures were different, and specifically, the four-finger gestures to switch to between the desktop and start menu was missing.  Because of this, I uninstalled the updated driver and tried to revert to the older one with the four-finger gestures.  Ever time I tried to install the older driver, however, the installation would crash and the system would auto-repair back to the old Windows state where the Elan Touchapd features were missing until I loaded up the Mouse menu and hit OK.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue, besides placing a shortcut on the desktop to make it easier to load the control panel's "mouse" menu?  Is there another driver available where the four-finger gestures are working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Elan Touchpad problems after Windows 8.1 upate

Yes yes. The updated driver works fine Smiley Happy . Thank you for the quick support!

What I did:

- Downloaded TouchPad_ELANTECH_11.6.4.001_W7x64_A.zip

- In the Device manager, under "Mice and other pointing devices", right clicked on "ELAN PS/2 Port Smart-Pad" chose Uninstall. In the "Confirm Device Uninstall" dialog, checked the "Delete the driver software for this device" checkbox and hit OK. Restart laptop.

- Unzip TouchPad_ELANTECH_11.6.4.001_W7x64_A

- Run the Setup.exe in TouchPad_Elantech_11.6.4.001_W8x86x64 (which is in TouchPad_ELANTECH_11.6.4.001_W7x64_A)

- Restart.

Now the (dynamic) Elan Pointing device icon appears in the system tray as it did before the windows 8.1 update.

22 REPLIES
ACE Pathfinder

It is always a good idea to provide the computer model that you have, so we know what we're working with.

Available drivers are located on our drivers page.

Important Links: Global Support Pages | Knowledge Base Articles
Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

New User

i have the same problem with my S7-392...after a restart of the notebook only the regular touchpad drivers are "loaded". Only when i open the mouse settings and go to the Elan driver they start working.

New User

I also have the same issue. My model is the S7-191-6400. When I boot up, the only way to get the features of the touchpad is to navigate to the settings in the control panel and hit OK again. Very annoying. Has anyone found a fix? There seems to be no new driver.

New User

S7 391-9413

I have had the exact same problem since upgrading to 8.1

All drivers are fully up to date.

Temporary fix, as mentioned above, is to open up the control panel - hardware and sound - mouse and click ok.

A permanent fix is needed. Acer-Tommy, any progress made on this in the last 2 weeks?

thanks

New User

I have the same problem too

M5-481PTG

i tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall with the new drivers provided at the acer website but it always fail.

please assist

ACE Pathfinder

Since there have been no responses with the exact driver version that was installed, I'm going to assume that all of you have attempted to install the version as follows:

TouchPad     ELANTECH     Touchpad Driver     v11.6.27.201     124.0 MB     2013/10/08

There is a newer version posted on a few notebooks that you may wish to try, v11.6.28.201.

TouchPad ELANTECH Touchpad Driver 11.6.28.201 123.2 MB 2013/10/11 Download

Please give that one a try and let me know.

Remember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the kudos-thumbs-up.png Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.

New User

Thanks, for me it works for half, it enabled 2fingers scrolling, but there is no, even in Elan setting, 4 fingers swipe out which i used for changing between metro and another screen in W8:-/ any suggestion?

ACE Pathfinder

If features are not available in Windows 8.1 that you would like to use, but ARE available in Windows 8, you may wish to revert to Windows 8.

Tinkerer

Elan Touchpad problems after Windows 8.1 update

After an hour of frustration, I determined that the touchpad had accidentally been turned off with Fn-F7. Problem was solved by hitting Fn-F7 again... Worth a try checking this first...

Announcements
Aspire GX Series

GIVE YOURSELF AN EDGE

New Here?

New to Acer Community?

Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Assistance by Acer