Can I pull off keys on my Acer Aspire R13 372T in order to clean a sticky key? Or will I break it?

PHIL528
PHIL528 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I have a sticky Alt key, if I pull it off will I break it, or will it be able to pop back on? Thanks!

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

Hello PHIL528,

Re-attaching keys on notebook keyboards can be very tricky and it is likely you will have a problem attaching it back on the keyboard because of the way the keys are mounted. If you break the key or the mount under the key you would need to have the keyboard replaced. Separate keys are not available to send to users.

There are other user talking about this in the Community, but Acer does not give support for re-attaching keys.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/VN7-592G-Spilled-drink-on-keyboard-keys-now-sticky-How-can-i/m-p/431394#U431394

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • kathnh
    kathnh Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have had a return key that sticks since before my warranty ran out.  Stupid of me.  Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is there a spray that might help it.  I use canned air to get dirt from beneath my keys but it does not help.  I have a Chromebook 15, Model CB5-571.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Other than it's tactility, if the sticky key functions properly I would leave it alone. If not, a new keyboard is only about $20 with free shipping from  Amazon or Ebay.  Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    There are some residuless cleaner sprays primarily for tuners. You might try one of those.
  • JackE
    But be careful, some of these sprays dissolve or soften plastic.  :o   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kathnh
    kathnh Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

A late reply but thank you all - I sprayed it with an air spray I use to clean dust from under the keys.  It didn't help but when I am typing and it gets stuck, I get so mad now that I kind of slam it, and miraculously it only happens occasionally.  Most women will tell you that banging a stove, dishwasher, etc. often corrects the problem she's having!  Thanks for the answers- and the warnings!
  • JackE
    Use a soft bristle blush brush to dig under the key covers while you're blowing air under them. I use a trusty old neutrogena blush applicator. It'll help dislodge the sticky crumbs that often get hung up in the key mechanism and return springs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Jack, I won't even ask you why you happened to have a Neutrogena blush applicator brush handy... :) I use a small artists paintbrush.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    I only used it to powder my shiny red nose. Never my cheeks.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.