Black Screen of Death: Need Key combo to get Acer Aspire R7 371T to boot USB BIOS install

Options
mortmandc
mortmandc Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hello,

I have an Acer R7 371T that is dead right now. Powers on, sometimes runs the fan but that's it. Apparently this is a known issue and BIOS recovery is the fix but I can't figure out how to get this device to boot the BIOS install I loaded onto a USB. I've seen options to make this happen on other models but they're not working on this model. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Derek

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Hold down alt-F10 before and while booting loads the Acer recovery. Not sure if it will help with a corrupt BIOS though.

• mortmandc
    mortmandc Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the response but that didn't work.

• jwade542
    jwade542 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
     @mortmandc are you sure that doesn't work? I had the same issue you described on my R7 and when I called acer support the support member sounded very confident that he knew the [simple] solution but required me to renew my warranty for $250 for him to tell it to me. Because of that and no solutions online, it's been sitting for the past 4-5 months unused.

However, I just spoke to a tech friend who advised me to do the same thing this way:
    1. turn on the computer
    2. immediately hold down the alt and fn key while tapping f10 repeatedly
    3. auto recovery should start and repair the system.
    It didn't work the first time but i tried it a second and the recovery started. Also, I was lucky enough to still have all of my files and everything there but not sure if that is guaranteed.

Hope this helps.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options
    Also on most current machines starting and aborting three times after you see the wheel (hold down power button to abort) will start the automagic recovery.