Aspire s7 392 ethernet/VGA-adapter issues with Windows 10

Jensoqvist
Jensoqvist Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hi,

I haves searched for an answer for this, but I have found nothing. The ethernet(wired) network adapter disappeared after I installed Windows 10. I have done all windows updates, Intel update manager and installing the Realtek drivers from Acer (from 2013 so I guess they are for older versions of Windows?). But nothing have worked so far.

I'm a bit dissapointed that Acer states that Aspire S7 -392 are supported for Windows 10, when it's not. 

Anyone have the same problem? What is the sollution?  

Answers

• Hello,

Have you tried in Device Manager - Action - Scan for hardware change?

All drivers for Windows 10-64 bit - Aspire S7-392:

Spoiler
    AHCIIntelSATA AHCI Driver (Broadwell)14.5.0.108111.4 MB2015/08/14Download
    AMTIntelIntel AMT Driver (Broadwell)11.0.0.115560.7 MB2015/08/14Download
    AccessoryRealtekAccessory Driver14.5.0.10819.0 MB2015/08/14Download
    AudioRealtekAudio Driver (Broadwell)6.0.1.7534379.6 MB2015/08/14Download
    AudioRealtekAudio Driver6.0.1.7534379.5 MB2015/07/21Download
    BluetoothIntelBluetooth Driver17.1.1527.15346.0 MB2015/08/14Download
    CardReaderRealtekCard Reader Driver (Broadwell)6.3.9600.312138.7 MB2015/08/14Download
    CardReaderRealtekCard Reader Driver6.3.9600.3121312.3 MB2015/07/21Download
    ChipsetIntelChipset Driver (Broadwell)10.1.1.84.7 MB2015/08/14Download
    ChipsetIntelChipset Driver10.1.1.82.7 MB2015/07/21Download
    IRSTIntelIRST (Intel® Rapid Start Technology) Driver14.5.0.108111.4 MB2015/07/21Download
    LanRealtekLAN Driver10.1.0506.20159.1 MB2015/07/21Download
    MgmtEngineIntelME (Management Engine)Driver11.0.0.115560.7 MB2015/07/21Download
    TouchELANTECHTouch Driver1.1.6454.1 KB2015/08/14Download
    TouchPadELANTECHTouchpad Driver15.6.1.1125.9 MB2015/09/04Download
    TouchPadSynapticsTouchpad Driver19.0.9.7147.6 MB2015/08/14Download
    Wireless LANIntelWireless LAN Driver18.11.1.2184.0 MB2015/08/25Download
    France
  • Jensoqvist

Tinkerer

Yes, nothing new pops up. It doesn't exist in the network adapter list there either. 

1. Do you see a device with a mark in Device Manager?
    2. Have you load default settings in the bios setup utility? And save and exit?

Note:

If you haven't Acer Care Center, you can download on your Acer website.

France
  • Jensoqvist

Tinkerer

1. No 

2. I can try that, but what I can remember I havent changed anything in the Bios. The adapter worked most of the time before with Windows 8.1, but there was problems even with Windows 8.1.

A year ago the network adapter just disappeared as it did now. I had to restore my computer to an erlier date and avoid a certain windows update (found out on some forum). Then it worked fine for almost a year, then a month or two ago the computer freezed everytime I plugged in the adapter and if I started the computer with the adapter plugged in the screen was black(until I disconnected it). So it was buggy with Windows 8.1 also. This was actually one of the reasons I installed Windows 10. Because I needed the wired connection to work so I could stream high quality videos without interruptions. 

• Hello,

1. Do you see Other devices in the device manager?
    2. Have you performed a power reset? (Unscrew the bottom and disconnect the battery).
    3. What's the bios version?
    4. Have you checked the output voltage of the AC adapter?
    France
  • Jensoqvist

Tinkerer

1. No

2. Yes, tried that 30 minutes ago. There is a reset button on the back at S7 -392.

3.Version 2.12 

4. No, I dont have something at home to mesaure it. It also doesn't work when I let it run on battery...  

What can I try more? 

• Jensoqvist

Tinkerer

The adapter is totaly dead, I have tried the USB on it and it doesn't work either. I also tried to move the adapter in different angels to see if it is any glitches in the contact/wire. It's like the computer can't detect the adapter. 

As I sad before, with Windows 8.1 the screen froze when I connected the adapter, and when I disconnected it the screen went back and everything was normal again. When I started it with the adapter plugged in the screen were black. 

I'm wondering if it could be software related when it seems stone dead, or if it's a sign that this is hardware related?

What conclusions can I/we draw from this? 

EDIT* I have a weak memory that the new hardware blabla thing came up when I plugged in the adapter first time with Windows 10...

• Jensoqvist

Tinkerer

Update*

The adapter, or the mini display port is not dead. It's the intel drivers that doesn't work. 

I should have understood this erlier, but the reason why the screen froze and went black was/is because the laptop thinks it's a good idea to send all the display signals through the VGA-port at the adapter. I just tried to connect a VGA-screen and it worked fine. It's the Ethernet (haven't tried the usb) driver that doesnt work. 

Also, I realized that there is two intel update-tool. The one you get included(I think?) when you install your Acer product is called intel update manager, and that one doesn't find any drivers. I found out there is another intel update-tool called intel driver update utility that you could download from Intel. That tool did find new driver for the graphic (chipset). But unfortunatly the latest driver just did the same as the problem I had before I installed Windows 10, it sends all screen signals thruougt the VGA-port at the adapter when I plug it in, but the ethernet card is gone. 

So I cunclude that somewhere between may and august this year Intel or Windows realeased a driver that doesn't work properly (it worked before may or somewhere there). I guess I will try to find and install older windows 8.1 drivers on Windows 10 sometime soon. Or just wait for new updates. 

What is wierd is that I can't find anyone else complaining about this, is it becase noone is using the wired ethernet or is it because something is wrong with my hardware/software? Or is it because Google is to slow to index this problems/complains? Smiley Happy

• ajot77
    ajot77 Member Posts: 3 New User

Maybe unrelated but have you tried rolling back the intels management interface driver to version 9.5, there is a thread about the screen going black and unresponsive after sleep and it could be related.