Aspire S7-392 appears dead: won't boot, no LED lights upon plug-in

Options
AspireSF
AspireSF Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have had this S7-392 nearly 3 years. Working perfectly. Last night I closed it and it hibernated as usual. Now it is entirely unresponsive: power button does nothing, no LED lights, charging appears to have no effect.

I tried the battery reset button, that did nothing. (Held it down for quite a long time).

My next thought: is my charger broken? I cannot remember if the light turns on when it is plugged into the wall (not into PC).

After some research, I acquired a T6 torx driver and have tighened all the screws on the back. Still no luck.

Any tips?

Relatedly, this is out-of-warranty, but my credit card supposedly extends the warranty by an additional year. Does anyone have experience with this kind of claim? Thanks for the help!

Answers

• Ace2Base
    Ace2Base Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I have the same problem on my Aspire S7-392, after searching various threads tried the following:

battery reset for 4 sec

battery reset with power button for 10 sec

Still does not power on, the LEDs are also not on even with power adapter.

Any suggestions?

• AspireSF
    Options

I had to have the motherboard replaced ($350)... Hope your fix is less expensive.

• Ace2Base
    Options
    I tried with disconnecting the battery to see if LED would turn on with just AC adapter however no luck. It looks like I am heading to the motherboard replacement. Did you send it to Acer for replacement?
  • AspireSF
    Options

No, local repair shop, Acer wouldn't take it since their warranty was expired.

• Ace2Base
    Options
    Was your data preserved after the swap? The only reason I want to do this repair is to recover my data.
  • AspireSF
    Options

Yes data preserved. But you don't need to fix the motherboard to get your data, just have a technician take out the hard drive. Any decent shop could get the data onto an external hard drive for you, maybe $50 plus the cost of the external.

• MalcolmA
    MalcolmA Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I was using the laptop with no problem when it just stopped functioning totally - it's fully charged and even if connected to the power source there's no sign of life.  The power light does come on when it's connected to the power source but that's the only thing that appears to be working.  Is this terminal?