Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Best Answer

• Theo25
    Theo25 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for the reply Brummy.  I ended up finding a solution.

To answer your question I was using a fresh Win 8.1 factory install.  I tried it with update and without.  Neither worked.  I didn't load AV, or anything other than win update.

Solution:  (partial) I eventually succeeded upgrading to Win 10 by using a bootable USB.  I deleted all partitions on the disk.  I was concerned that it wouldn't pick up the product key, but it did.  

Answers

• Theo25

Tinkerer

Options

Attempted to upgrade to Win 10 twice.  First time from a reset to factory settings, then fully patched laptop as well as Windows.  After successful upgrade it patched, then wouldn't boot past Acer screen.  

Second attempt utilized a factory installation USB.  Same result.

BIOS v2.09.  Standard settings tried, also tried F12 boot.  

Any ideas?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Are you upgrading from Win8/8.1?, Do you have any third party AV programs installed? If you have, just disable it or uninstall and try the upgrade.

• Theo25

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for the reply Brummy.  I ended up finding a solution.

To answer your question I was using a fresh Win 8.1 factory install.  I tried it with update and without.  Neither worked.  I didn't load AV, or anything other than win update.

Solution:  (partial) I eventually succeeded upgrading to Win 10 by using a bootable USB.  I deleted all partitions on the disk.  I was concerned that it wouldn't pick up the product key, but it did.  

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

I am glad that you got it sorted, well doneSmiley Very Happy