Aspire R5-571T-59DC Warranty Dispute (USA) Cracked Screen

Tmart016
Tmart016 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I was wondering how many people have had the same issue as I have. The R5-571T-59DC is a 2 in 1 touch screen laptop where the display bends all the way back to make a tablet. In the process of flipping my display around the screen cracked across the length of the display. There was no excessive force since all I did was push the screen... a touch screen. I did everything by the book, the way I was showed how to in the store I purchased it from. 

The limited warranty clearly states that anything below isn't covered by the warranty:

-DAMAGES CAUSED BY MISUSE, ABUSE, ACCIDENTS

-DAMAGES CAUSED BY USAGE THAT IS NOT IN ACCORDANCE WITH PRODUCT
INSTRUCTIONS OR USER MANUALS, FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE PRODUCT
INSTRUCTIONS OR USER MANUALS OR FAILURE TO PERFORM CLEANING OR
PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.

-COSMETIC DAMAGE OR EXTERIOR FINISH THAT DOES NOT AFFECT FUNCTIONALITY
INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO SCRATCHED OR CRACKED DISPLAYS

Now I have contacted customer service twice and both times I was told that any physical damage isn't covered by the warranty and sending my computer in will result in me having to pay $300 to repair the screen. 

My argument is that there was no misuse, abuse, or accidents. The laptop is less than 3 months old it's never been dropped there's no damage anywhere else. I flipped the display the way it was supposed to be flipped I didn't use excessive force since the LCD isn't broken or bleeding.  Finally, my cracked display affects functionality in the worst way the touch screen had to be disabled so I could use the laptop at all. I wanted to know has anyone else ran into this problem with Acer clearly misinterpreting their warranty, because it doesn't say anything about not covering physical damage especially physical damage that was caused by some sort of a defect

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Sorry you are having problems with your Acer product. If you could send us a private message we'll see what we can do to help.

• Cheyenne_rangel
    Cheyenne_rangel Member Posts: 1 New User

I also had the same problem and so did my associote who has the same model as the one listed above the. I had it in my laptop case and when I opened the laptop it cracked without any extreme presure. I called also and I was told A 300 fee would be charged to me if I turned it into Acer to be fixed. I have had this laptop less then a year and it should not have cracked without any forced trauma. I am very upset with Acer and wish to be helped. 

• Tmart016

Tinkerer

It is pretty annoying that Acer fails to accept any kind of responsibility or even admit that the design of the screen was flawed from the beginning. I kept insisting that either the design was defective or that the computer screen was just poor quality since their own tech support told me that it's a "common problem." They dropped the price to have it repaired to $150 for me but I had a local shop that fixed it for $100 and I had it done in 48 hours Acer said it would take 3 weeks. 

My solution to the problem is, unfortunately, stop buying Acer products. If they are willing to sell you a computer that experiences problems and not willing to help you they clearly don't care about their customers not even enough to take some kind of responsibility for putting out a bad/faulty product. 

• Rebeccastarr09
    Rebeccastarr09 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I too am having the SAME EXACT PROBLEM, except I have the acer R5-571T-57Z0 idk if there is any difference in the computers but all I was trying to do was flip the screen and out of no where I heard a cracking noise and I about flipped. I bought my laptop in February of this year so I'm on the verge of tears because now I have a crack in the glass
  • GwenSea
    GwenSea Member Posts: 3 New User

I need help with same issue regarding my R5-571T. Last week I was opening it from a closed resting position on my table as I have been doing since it was given to me as a gift this past December (9 months ago). I just used my thumb and pointer finger my of right hand to lift the top at the front center edge. I always brace the left corner base with my left thumb and pointer finger in an L position. I don't squeeze hard or ever apply inordinate pressure with my right thumb upon the very little top edge of the touchscreen plastic that it comes in contact with -- somewhere close to or at the eye of the cam.

When I had almost gotten the screen to a complete vertical I felt the cracking under my thumb. It was a crack that moved from about an inch to the right of the cam eye in a to-the-left crooked diagonal about 3-4 inches into the screen. Since, then, though I have been gentle with my device, it has now continued in the diagonal cracking and now is to the very bottom about 4 inches from the bottom left corner. Since the initial cracking, I have experienced visual distortion flashes to my device screen, periodically, in horizontal bands across the top 3rd of the screen. I have had issues with the mouse beam getting stuck frozen and screen activations of screen items going haywire (I do not use my screen with touch, I always use a mouse). The crack is also visually unappealing but it is indeed affecting the performance of my device.

I initially called support and they were not helpful at all and didn't explain to any decent degree how I would go about placing a warranty claim and left me with the attitude of "can't prove it isn't your fault. you will have to pay out."

I have done nothing amiss with this device. I have never dropped or banged it. I have never placed objects--of any weight (I don't think my eyeglasses are of damaging weight for example) on my device. I have never taken it out of my home. I have only ever moved it from the table it normally sits on to carry it to the bed with me where it sits on my lap. I always open it the same way--unless it has been possible variations of just using the side of my right palm or right thumb/palm pad upon the very front edge of the screen in lifting it open.

I am sad. Very. This was a gift last December because I could not afford a new computer. I not only can still not afford a new computer, I cannot afford repairs (to repair something that was not at all my fault). The person who gave this to me went out of his way financially to give me a gift in the $500.00 range. It was purchased from Best Buy 12/12/16 and delivered to me by Best Buy.

Please help. I am very distraught. This was a gift from a good friend; and that fact makes this damage to my device even more distressing. I do not want to be stuck in being denied reimbursement of a new screen or device because warranty repair tells me it is my fault. I see that attitude expressed contained in this thread and have seen it in other threads on the subject regarding ACER products screen cracking on other outside of ACER website forums. I really hope this is not the prevalent attitude of ACER regarding/towards warranty claims. Right now I cannot say I would ever on my own, were I able to afford it, purchase a product from ACER or recommend anyone else doing so.

• Tmart016

Tinkerer

Hey, so first off there is a way to disable the touch screen I don't remember specifically how to do it but a quick search will lead you to an answer.

Unfortunately Acer will not pay out for selling you a defective product. They will send you in a loop of customer service call centers and tell you that any physical damage is not their fault despite the fact that a design flaw should be a considered a defect. Acer does not care about their customers, after they get their money you're on your own. It's something to keep in mind for the future but for now I would look into getting it repaired by a third party repair center to have the screen replaced for about $100. Best of luck friend.
  • GwenSea
    GwenSea Member Posts: 3 New User

I can't pay for any repair. It is SOL then. I despise ACER if that is the case.

• Tmart016

Tinkerer

Yeah, unfortunately, we have another one to join the club of never buying another Acer product again. Let me know how it turns out for you! 

• royfun
    royfun Member Posts: 1 New User
    one more case here.  just normal office use, not abusive at all and one day the screen just cracked.  talking to online chat and they insist not covered under warranty. :(