Aspire R3-131T - Intel Wireless AC 8265 Problem with BIOS.

Options
vinniemac
vinniemac Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi Guys,

This has been a long standing issue now and I have concluded my investigations in to this issue.

Board:

Intel Pentium N3700

Cards tested are:

Intel AC 7265

Intel AC 8260

Intel AC 8265

Killer AC 1535

Symptom:

When this cards are installed either the Bluetooth module, Wireless Module or Both is not detected on Boot in to Windows 10 Pro (testing Up to the Latest Insider Build 16299 of Creators Fall edition)

Cause:

This issue after testing Power options, countless drivers and settings is actually caused by the BIOS release from Acer.

Solution:

The solution to this issue is to flash Initial Windows 10 BIOS V1.0.6 from the Acer website. Any later BIOS causes the issue as described above.

If you have this problem and have a later BIOS installed, this is not a problem and I can advise on how to downgrade your BIOS. It does involved disabling the BIOS downgrade checker in the config file of the BIOS.

Follow up:

I have contacted Acer on this issue and they are less than helpful, I would imagine because these laptops are not made for any profit and therefore Acer won't waste any time on this units.

I have asked why BIOS V1.06 does not have the issue but any further BIOS updates right up to the lates V1.17 does have the issue.

The response is that I have to take my laptop in for servicing (Very costly when I have already diagnosed the issue) and that Acer support do not have a unit to test (I find this hard to believe)

Also I understand all the generic cards may not be supported business but the fact is Acer do not have any BIOS white or blacklisting and use an open BIOS, so modules should work and they do work providing BIOS V1.06 is used.

My theory is that in the later BIOS releases some algorithm has changed causing the Wirelss and/or Bluetooth module to not be powered on at boot.

My question now is can someone at Acer fix this problem so we have working cards and the latest BIOS features and updates.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Vince