Aspire R13 tent mode problem

Options
xerstar1
xerstar1 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have recently bought an Aspire R13 and was wondering if anyone had the same problem with the tent mode.

When using it in stand or pad mode, the theme automatically switches to pad mode and when using it in display mode, the theme automatically switches to display mode (as it should). 

Basicly whenever you put the laptop into one of the above stands it switches to a touch only mode (which is okay since you shouldn't be able to acces the keyboard).

But when i try to use it in tent mode (which should also be a touch only mode since the keyboard isn't accessible), it stays in notebook mode. Meaning the laptop doesn't go into a touch mode and I can't for example log in to my laptop using the touch keyboard (it does work in pad and display mode).

Can anybody please help me solve this? 

kind regards

Answers

• maximemoreillon
    maximemoreillon Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

Options

Hello,

I have been experiencing the same situation.

It is liketly that the laptop guesses the mode it's in based on the screen orientation, measured by an accelerometer, and wether the hinges are in open position or not.

When in tent mode, the screen is in upright position (Acer logo at the bottom) and the hinges are open and thus the computer believes it's in laptop mode.

I'm not sure there are ways for the computer to differenciate between tent and laptop mode without additional sensors.

• xerstar1
    xerstar1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I see, but when the laptop is in display mode the screen is in upright position as well and the hinges are also open (and everything seems to work).

Do you think there is a way to make the laptop think it's in display or pad mode when it's in tent mode?

• maximemoreillon
    maximemoreillon Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

Options

If I remember well, when the laptop is in display mode, its screen is upside down (Acer logo above the display and webcam below).

I highly doubt that there is a solution for the computer to distinguish between tent mode and laptop mode based solely on the sensors I'd guess it's equipped with.

As a way to test this hypothesis, you could try to put the R13 in laptop mode and hold it upside down. It should switch to display mode even though you haven't rotated the screen.

Nonetheless, the computer should know when it is in pad mode because of the hinges being closed. Is it not the case for yours?

• ImNotImpressed
    ImNotImpressed Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Hello,

I really do not think that is a sensor issue.  I cannot even imagine that Acer technicians did not think about a way to detect when the screen is rotated. I just bought that laptop to try it and went through the drivers and the registry keys options. It seems that Acer uses most of the time really old generic outdated drivers (dated 2006). If you go on their website for drivers just few updated drivers are available for this laptop.  It should be easy to code in a driver that when the screen is upside down or rotated, it should switch to another mode.

In my opinion, this laptop as just three modes not six as advertised, 2 modes for stand and tablet (actually, 2 positions with the same functions, I did not find any differences), and the laptop mode for all other positions. I tried the yoga pro 3 and it is much better in detecting all positions with 4 modes, all including specific functions. I returned this device for other reasons.

According to me, Acer did a good device with the R7-371t but without investing too much in adapting drivers and adaptive software to go with it.

According the bad customer support I received, I do not think Acer realized that a laptop should be adaptable to the user, not the reverse! 

Look at my post on automatic start-up with the display lid: it is a similar issue

ImNotImpressedAtAll