Aspire R-14 2 models, read/write speed for SSD for 2 models please

Options
IgnuanaRex
IgnuanaRex Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi, I'm looking at 2 models of the R14.  I feel like I read somewhere that it didn't have the fastest SSD.   I tried chat but wasn't able to immediately get stats on the drive, but was told it was Kingston.    Kingston couldn't find the numbers Acer gave me, but looked up the 2 drives Kingston recommends for this model, a 250g and 500g.    The 256 had read/write in the area of 500, but the 512 had one of those numbers in the 300s.  Kingston told me for this type of SSD performance can decrease with larger drives.   

I don't think those were the exact drives because the size didn't match.

I also saw a post on this board about the R13 I believe where the SSD write speed was clearly slow before an upgrade, thought that's a different laptop.

I wouldn't want to get the 512g if it's slower than the 256g.    I know I could install my own but why even get a laptop with an SSD if I'm going to do that.

Can someone from Acer provide me read/write speeds for the SSDs for these 2 models, or does someone from the community have test results?

R5-471T-776J

512 G SSD

R5-471T-51UN

256G SSD

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

When I evaluated the R5-471T this is what I got when I tested the SSD:

Note: Power Plan= High Performance

For testing purposes, Windows Defender Active scanning=disabled

Note2: I don't work for Acer

In my opinion, 1029 is a very respectable score.  I was pleased with the SSD.  It performed well.

ssdbencchh.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • IgnuanaRex
    IgnuanaRex Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Thanks!    Which size of SSD was that?

• JordanB
    Options

512 GB

• JordanB
    Options

In one of my desktops, I have one SSD that has sequential write speeds of about 350 MB/s and the other desktop has an el cheapo SSD that is only 180 MB/s sequential write speed.

For most day to day computer usage, I can't tell the difference when I switch from one computer to the other.  Boot times are the same on both and they are both at around 500 MB/s read.