Let's Get Social!

Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acer s7 keyboard issue with repeating characters

Tinkerer

I have an Acer s7-391. I have an issue with the keyboard repeating characters. I have seen that mentioned in other threads here but there was no topic dedicated to it so I figured I would start one.

Typing on the s7 is a nightmare. Characters are repeated dozens of times in just a few paragraphs of typing. I chatted with Acer and their solution was a full system restore with no guarantee that it will fix anything. Unfortunately, that would take hours of my time since I would then need to set up my machine again after, reinstall all programs, etc.

Does anyone else have this issue and, if so, did a full system restore resolve it? If not, any other ideas? The other option is to send it in for service but then I am without my laptop for who knows how long.

PS: I had an issue with wifi dropping but that was fixed with the driver update.

46 REPLIES
Troubleshooter

Re: Acer s7 keyboard issue with repeating characters

I don't have this issue with mine so I suggest you send your leptop to service, probably for keyboard replacement. I am writing this reply with S7-391 and well, no repeating characters here...

Tinkerer

Thanks for the note. I am hoping to get a few more replies before I make that choice. I am glad it is working for you so that shows they can make it right.

I have the exact same pproblem and it is pretty annoying. I uuse my acer for school and do a lot of writing so the problem is real enough for me. I had 2 "incidents" writing this text. If Acer do not come up with a solution, I will have to return it again.

Tinkerer

I had the same problem with a Vaio Z in 2009 and I could not believe to see this again with my shiny new Acer S7. But no worries, there's a fix for this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26748522/zechofix.html

If you want the full story with the VAIO, check out this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/306453-sony-vaio-z-sticky-squeaky-keys-doubled-type-16.html

On the other hand, consider this as a patch but of course it is NOT ideal. Acer should fix this hardware problem instead of selling premium notebooks with bad keyboards and bad trackpads (tapping the trackpad fails 30% of the times in my case!)

Good luck guys!

Magicmac.

Tinkerer

Good info, manythanks. I installed it and saw no repeats in a couple of paragraphs of typing. I will keep working on the s7 and report back on extended use.

Enthusiast

hey, magicman! i have the same problem with repeating characters. i saw the link you have send but i can.t download the program.

would you be so kind as to e-mail it to me please?

[edited for privacy - please use the Private Message system]

thanks!

Tinkerer

This worked. I have not seen any repeating characters since it was installed. Amazing. Thanks.

New User

Hallo,

I have the same problem with repeating characters.

Please how does you solve the problem?

Thank you.

Tinkerer

Hey guys!

Download the fix from here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26748522/zechofix.html

Also, keep in mind that it's a very basic program without an installer, so you better place it in your startup folder so it runs every time your windows starts.

Cheers and good luck with this "cheapily assembled keyboard". The problem here is when they close everything: depending on how much pressure they apply to the screws, the keyboard AND the touchpad may fail.

In my case, keyboard double types and the touchpad does not always tap. :/

New Here?

New to Acer Community?

Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Assistance by Acer
Member Highlight

We would like to highlight a user that joined the Community just 3 months ago and in that short amount of time has already authored more than 25 solutions and ranked up to Valued Contributor. Congratulations Flx, keep up the good work!

Total Posts Written: 345
Total Kudos Received: 78
Solutions Accepted: 26

Flx
Valued Contributor Flx

Valued Contributor