Acer aspire s7-392: default boot device missing or boot failed.

susmitkumar
susmitkumar Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I am running Windows 8.1, and a couple of days back, my computer which was running smoothly, went to the blue screen. It gave the error: default boot device missing or boot failed. Press Enter to choose the bootable device.

However, when I press enter, there are no options to choose from, no list. I am assuming this is a BIOS error (I hate SSDs now) since I did not further update my BIOS from v2.05. 

Pressing F2 during boot does nothing, I will try to press F12 and see if that gives me boot options. I have also made a USB BIOS bootable drive. However, I do not know how to proceed (a novice).

Can anyone please advise, please tell me, if possible, a few options, as the first option generally never works (personal view that things are not that easy).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Susmit

P.S. If you need any further system information, kindly let me know.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if F2 doesn't work, connect your USB bootable pen, reboot and press F12.

you can try to press ALT+F10 at boot and check if Acer erecovery works.

if this doesn't work, probably the SSD died, if you are under warranty, i suggest you to contact the Acer support service.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • David4
    David4 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I connected my iPad to my laptop via a USB cable to transfer some files. I left my laptop and came back after a few minutes and found this message on the screen. I don't have a backup, or at least not with me while I'm traveling. Tried going into the bios as suggested and reset, but it remains the same. Any suggestions?