Acer aspire s7-392-9439: default boot device missing or boot failed.

michaelb
michaelb Member Posts: 12 New User
Hi,
I bought an Acer aspire s7-392-9439 3 months ago. It's been working great, until yesterday.
I turn on the computer and it poped a blue screen with the error: "default boot device missing or boot failed".
This error reminded me that a message about a bios update poped out a few days ago and I diden't get the chance to install it.

I've contacted acer support, they told me the bios update would have prevented this problem. Also, they told me to try some stuff that may help, but unfortunately none of them did:
1. Restoring the bios settings to default.
2. Changing bios settings: uefi to legacy.
3. Tapping winkey+c on computer boot.

When those options failed they told me it's probably a hardware problem and I should send my computer to thier repair center.
My questions are:
1. If they bios update would have prevented the problem, how can it be a hardware problem?
2. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

I would really appreciate your help,
Michael

Best Answer

• dapellegrini
    dapellegrini Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓

I had the same problem.  Tried the DOS boot disk and did not work.

Here is how I solved it:

(from memory apologies is some of the terminology is not spot on)

1. Download the BIOS install file - link provided earlier in this thread (isST2212.exe)

2. On a Windows 8 machine that works - search for "Create a Recovery Drive" and run that on a USB drive

3. Copy the file from #1 to the USB drive once it is done making it into a Recovery drive

4. In the Acer BIOS (hit F2 while booting), Change to Legacy Boot method

5. Save and Exit

6. Go back into the BIOS and move the USB HDD option as the first Boot Device

7. Save and Exit

8. You should end up in a Windows 8 recover console

9. Go to Advanced Options - find the option that gets you to the command prompt

10. from there I went to d: drive and found my isST2212.exe file - run it by typing the file name when you are in the folder

Make sure you are plugged in to power - let it run.  It should install, auto reboot and you should be back in business.

I had Acer offer to fix it for free with a 7-10 day turn around and at risk of loosing all of my data.  This was a much better solution!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Hi michaelb,

you can try to flash the BIOS from a bootable DOS USB pen.

1) you need to set BIOS on legacy mode and set Secure Boot to disable

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

2) you must create a USB DOS bootable media, using an USB pen and a program called Rufus:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

using this settings:

usbdos.jpg

3) now download the latest BIOS for your notebook:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_2.12_A_A.zip?acerid=635381599989913185&Step1=ULTRA-THIN&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20S7-392&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6#_ga=1.156710459.1650522051.1412414371

unzip the downloaded file, you will found a file "isST2212.exe", copy this file to your USB pen.

Connect the USB pen to the S7, press F12 at boot, choose the USB pen as boot device and after the command prompt is available, digit isST2212.exe and see if it starts to flash BIOS.

if you can't still update with this method, you can try another.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • michaelb

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I got as far as the command prompt, but when I typed isst2212 it poped: "This program cennot be run in a DOS mode".

I can see it when I type dir, but I can't execute it.

• IronFly
    Ok
    Let's go with method 2

Download 7z
    http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    install it and then right click isst2212.exe and choose 7z-extract here.

You will see some files, copy to USB DOS pen 2 files:
    xxxxx.fd (i don't remeber the name)
    FWUpdLcl.exe

Now boot again in DOS and type

Fwupdlcl.exe -f xxxxx.fd

If this doesn't work, try the same command without -f
  • michaelb

Thanks again for unswering.

I tryed both ways, I get the same "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" error.

• IronFly

EDIT:

try this:

https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/insyde-bios-recovery/

no need to rename the file.

as last chance, you can try a live bootable windows XP enviroment with the isst2212.exe inside (just google it)

• michaelb

Maybe I've done something wrong with my bios settings?

PS.JPG

• michaelb

Thank you.

Tryed the first one, it poped a "Disk error". This means a hardware problem?

I couldn't understand from the articles how to do the live bootable windows XP enviroment :/

Is there something wrong with my settings?

• IronFly

No, your settings are good.

• michaelb

So this means hardware problems?

Is there any other way to try and fix the problem?

• IronFly

Try to rename the .fd file to Storm2x64.fd and try recovery method, remember a simple FAT32 formated USB pen and the file renamed and copied inside.

i don't think is an hardware problem.

EDIT: if this still not work.....you need to send the S7 to the Acer support service.

• michaelb

Doesn't work :/

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

• dd1234
    dd1234 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have the same computer (S7-392) and since this morning, I have the exact same problem.

Did you finally find a solution to this problem?

Or did you send your computer to Acer support Service? Did they repair the computer, or change it?

thanks in advance for your answer

• dapellegrini
    dapellegrini Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓

Here is how I solved it:

1. Download the BIOS install file - link provided earlier in this thread (isST2212.exe)

2. On a Windows 8 machine that works - search for "Create a Recovery Drive" and run that on a USB drive

3. Copy the file from #1 to the USB drive once it is done making it into a Recovery drive

5. Save and Exit

7. Save and Exit

10. from there I went to d: drive and found my isST2212.exe file - run it by typing the file name when you are in the folder

Make sure you are plugged in to power - let it run.  It should install, auto reboot and you should be back in business.

I had Acer offer to fix it for free with a 7-10 day turn around and at risk of loosing all of my data.  This was a much better solution!

• poocano78
    poocano78 Member Posts: 1 New User

Just wanted to give a big thanks to dapellegrini.  I followed exactly what he said and within 15 minutes I was up a running again.

• mrnobody
    mrnobody Member Posts: 5 New User
    What if I don't have access to another Windows 8 machine? I have 2 other Windows 7 computers.
  • IronFly

mrnobody wrote:
    What if I don't have access to another Windows 8 machine? I have 2 other Windows 7 computers.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• Chi_Wally
    Chi_Wally Member Posts: 1 New User

Upon finding this thread I attempted dapellegrini's resolution, but I'm stuck at step #10. I'm not able to find the isST2212.exe file on the recovery drive when I use DIR, and in fact I'm not able to navigate anywhere outside of the X: drive in the command prompt of the recovery drive. When I plug the USB/recovery drive into my old machine I am able to see the BIOS file so I know it's there. Could someone please help me work through this (hopefully) final piece to the puzzle?

Thanks in advance.

Wally

• mjorque
    mjorque Member Posts: 3 New User

I have been having the same problem on my computer for the last week, "default boot device missing or boot failed" on startup.

Was able to update my BIOS to v2.12 using the method described above but it didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas on what would be the problem on my computer?

I am not living in US at the moment, so it would be hard to send it over support service.

• spin_cycle
    spin_cycle Member Posts: 1 New User
    dapellegrini's solution helped me solve this issue. Thanks pal.
    dapellegrini wrote:

Here is how I solved it:

5. Save and Exit

7. Save and Exit

• mark1
    mark1 Member Posts: 1 New User

just registered to thank dapellegrini for his solution, just saved my s7 392 from having to go to acer.

and also to shame acer for their fairly dismal support on this matter