Acer Swift 5 USB Type-C charging

Options
shopper
shopper Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

The documentation does not state anything about USB Type-C charging (power in) for Swift 5.  I hear mixed answers on various websites.  Can an offical Acer rep confrim this and if so, what is the power spec?  

Swift 3 is able to charge via USB Type-C port based on Acer support, despite various sources saying it cannot be and the documentation not stating the capability.  

Swift 7 is able to charge via both USB Type-C ports based on reports.

Why is Acer not able to give a straight forward answer and documentation on its Type-C ports for power delivery requirement?  It is a very important buying factor and usage information for many people getting new laptops with Type-C ports.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

Can you please provide the complete model name? Example: SP513-51.

• shopper
    shopper Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

SF514-51-706K

How many different versions of Swift 5 are there that uses different ports/parts?  I thought they all share the same parts except the chipset, memory, and SSD size.

• DavidSwift
    DavidSwift Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

SF514-51

This is my model number and I would also appreciate an answer.  

I also agree that some straightforwward documentation would have resolved this.  Something as essential as this shouldn't need to have a dedicated response, but be in the original documentation on a knowledge base.

Many thanks.

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

We recently got an update on this and it was verified that the SF514-51 does not support charging the laptop via

USB-C but it will charge small electronics such as a tablet or phone. 

• subtractive
    subtractive Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Does this apply to the NP515-51 as well?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Yes, that's correct, USB -C type charging only available for small electronics( 5v; 3A ).
  • Threader
    Threader Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I disagree as I have the Nitro Spin 5 variant NP515-51-56DL and I bought a 

YOUNGE 5V-3A 9V-3A 15V-3A 20V-2.25A USB C Type-C Adapter Power Supply (from Amazon)

and it charges just fine and less expensive than the Acer Charger.

I think the regular non nitro Spin 5 version that also has a 8th Gen i5 and GTX 1050 well charge as well from the USB C port.

I cannot confirm for the lesser spin 5 variants with 8th Gen CPU but no GTX 1050 but you have nothing to lose to try with amazon easy returns or just keep it to charge your phones which was my idea if it didn't pan out but it did :)

• Miki12345
    Miki12345 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi guys, I need some help.
    I have the Swift 5 sf514-51, and want to connect it to multiple monitors. But I'm not sure if the computer is capable of connection through a USB type C docking station. 
    Any advice would be great 

• Spookymonster
    Spookymonster Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Miki12345 said:
    I have the Swift 5 sf514-51, and want to connect it to multiple monitors. But I'm not sure if the computer is capable of connection through a USB type C docking station. 

It should. I have a docking station hooked up to my NP515-51 and run my monitor, ethernet, and 2 USB ports through it.
  • ArturoMarti
    ArturoMarti Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi.   I want to know if the SF14-52T has this charging capability.  
    What other uses does the usb-c type has?  Can one buy an adapter and use it as any other usb also?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    @ArturoMarti you should start a new thread with your questions, include your full model number, yours is likely SF514 instead of SF14... The 52T is going to be much different than the 51 from the original post.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CWhat
    CWhat Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Miki12345 said:

Hi Miki-can-count-up-to-5 :)

So I can tell you about the setup that I use to connect multiple monitors, as follows...
    Acer model is Swift 5
    model number is SF514-54T-552K

Firstly as you probably know there is an HDMI full sized port on LHS of base component of the device.... which allows for one additional monitor/smart tv which have an HDMI port in them.
    For third monitor, I use a "Dongle" connected to the USB C port on LHS of base component of device.  This dongle is a four-in-one unit, having a Full sized old style USB-A port, a USB-C port - which the packaging says is only for charging (I have not tested this for peripheral device connectivity or at all), a gigabit Ethernet adapter with RJ45 socket connector, and importantly for you, a full sized HDMI port, via which you can connect to HDMI enabled Monitor or Smart TV.  The dongle that I use is a DELTACO & the only model number type information is what is written on the bar-code on the box as follows "USBC-1267".

This works well with a 30inch Philips smart TV.

Try to buy in a store where they will allow returns if you can not connect using the device, or bring your acer to the shop, and try it out in store.  it cost about 20 or 25 euro, and for the Gigabit Ethernet alone I thought it was worth while.

The unit can allow to used with a variety of other devices.

Also if I think that more or less any device that has a USBC male connector for you acer side, and a full sixed HDMI port for connection to your TV/Monitor would likely do the trick for you if you can not get the deltaco dongle described above.

Anyway hope that the above helps.

Good luck and happy hunting.
  • OlaG
    OlaG Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Can the SF514-54GT be charged via the USB-C?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, but only at a 15W rate, so not enough to actually charge unless you are running really frugally. It will likely just help maintain a charge if you are using the laptop and charge slowly if the laptop is off. Your normal charger is a 65W, so over four times the current.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.