Acer Swift 3 Touchpad not Detected

uohrafj
uohrafj Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Just got a brand new Acer Swift 3 SF314-51-52W2 with Windows 10 - everything works great except for the touchpad.  When I first got it the touchpad did not work at all, it would work for like 3 seconds at a time before freezing.  This issue was resolved by changing my BIOS touchpad settings from Advanced to Basic.  Now the touchpad works, but it is jumpy, and sometimes does not click.  The touchpad itself does not show up under devices, instead it shows up as a PS/2 Mouse.  I tried reinstalling the drivers, both for ELAN and Synaptic becasue I don't know what touchpad I have, but the touchpad is still recognized as a PS/2 Mouse.  My BIOS version is 1.07, which I think is the latest version.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  I have seen other threads recommending rolling back drivers, but I'm not sure how to do that using the Acer website since all that's available is Windows 10 drivers.  I'm just hoping I don't need to ship it back to Acer.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

The touchpad showing up in Device Manager as a PS2 device is normal. Sometimes it will show up as an Elan or Synaptic if it is using that particular driver but Microsoft uses its own native touchpad driver so there should not be a problem for it to show up as such in Device Manager. If it is jumpy and laggy there may be a hardware problem with the touchpad itself. For assistance with this though please contact Acer support from the contact info posted here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact