Acer Spin 5 uneven/broken keyboard backlight

clems71
clems71 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi all,

I just bought an Acer Spin 5 (13") and I wonder whether it's normal to have an uneven backlight (especially the N key which seems to have no LED underneath it...).

Is it just me or everybody has that?

Here is a photo of the symptom:

20170901_211156.jpg

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Hi,

I think it's OK, it depends on the angle we view the keyboard, top row lights are more visible than lower rows, you need to check them at different angles.

• clems71

Hi,

First thanks for your reply. I know the viewing angle can change things, but in my case it doesn't change anything. I took a better picture, from the top to illustrate the issue.

20170902_071851.jpg

Best regards

• Hi,

Yes, it looks different than in my Switch Alpha 12, if it's possible, try to get a replacement from the retailer. I have attached a couple of pics for you to compare.

PIC_2173.JPGPIC_2174.JPG

• Philip123
    Philip123 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem. I returned mine and the next one had the same problem. Did you buy yours at costco?

• clems71

Hi,

I bought it on eBay UK from a wholesale merchant. I unmounted the N letter to inspect the LEDs under it and it appears there is no LED in the N letter region - so I guess this is normal (I also unmounted the B key for comparision purpose). Maybe it's a constraint related to PCB routing on 13" laptops.

Anyway, in a dark room it's not too annoying, and as it's a great little machine I didn't returned it. Also, a lot of people on Amazon (USA) also mention a weird keyboard backlight. I guess it's the way they built it!

Smiley Happy

• MkAwan
    MkAwan Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2018
    Hello i would like to conferm that if Acer spin sp513-51 has backlight keyboard  because  the signs for tuning on / oiff  are made on the keys F9 & F10 respectively 
    Please let me know if it is
     backlight or not and if it is how to turn them on