Acer Spin 3 SP315-51-53NM is 100% Disk and its lagging

Options
pipoy
pipoy Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

First of all I love my Acer Spin 3. Its the one with a 1TB HDD and 4gb of RAM

It's everything that I need for my work.

Except the hdd is always at 100% even at idle.

Its your usual suspects. System, svchost, ntoskrnl and some acer bloatware.

My laptop lags most of the time. My mouse pointer lags when I sometimes I open new browser tabs.

The HDD is literally at 100% most of the time.

RAM is at 85% which is expected

I dont want to make an effort formatting this laptop.

And I think it is more worth it to upgrade to SSD. Beside, the ssd version is not available in my country and my original plan was to buy this one and upgrade it after a few weeks or months. So I am sticking with it

But first I want to ask if this can be solved without upgrading yet?

Will the upgrade solve my issue?

What is the compatible ram for this laptop? Is there an extra slot?

Best Answer

• pipoy
    Answer ✓
    Options

I just upgraded to SSD and added a ram and everything is working as I expected

This is a cheap laptop for what it can do so I really should have expected this.

the 100% disk may be an issue of RAM is full as well. Not enough RAM will write at the disk.

I know this because when I upgraded my RAM and SSD, i did not reinstall a windows yet.

I was using the laptop for 1 day and the laptop got faster.

When I installed a new windows, yes a new windows without those acer bloatware, everything is now as I want it to be

Answers

• pipoy
    Options

bump

• pipoy
    Options

come on guys. Even Acer staff dont have an answer?

• GeekoLUnDsOp
    GeekoLUnDsOp Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options

Have you tried to uinstall some apps? Spin 3 is having M.2 2242/2280 SSD socket. So guess you might need to see Crucial MX300 where it might be compatible for it.

• pipoy
    Options

Acer_Geek wrote:

Have you tried to uinstall some apps? Spin 3 is having M.2 2242/2280 SSD socket. So guess you might need to see Crucial MX300 where it might be compatible for it.

Acer_Geek wrote:

Unfortunately this has already happend since day 1.

I did not bother uninstalling some apps becuase i was only seeing acer software which Im scared to uninstall. But I did manage to disable some startup apps.

Thank you for your suggestion on the SSD. However I already have an SSD in mind

Samsung 250GB M.2 2280 850 EVO SSD MZ-N5E250

But the real question is, is this the correct solution? Or is my laptop has issues that I need to resolve first before upgrading

looking at the utilization in task manager, some apps only has 0.1 MBs of disk utlization.

there are probably 4-7 apps like that. And yet it is showing that the Disk is 100% utilized even with a few apps at only 0.1 MBs

So that is very weird

• pipoy
    Options

Im still looking for a solution here

It would probably best go upgrade to SSD and ram

Plase let me know if these are compatible

Samsung 250GB M.2 2280

Sodimm . Crucial 8GB DDR4 2400 Sodimm CT8G4SFS824A

• Ricketts223
    Ricketts223 Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

Hi - not sure what to recommend - mine did that during the whole windows setup routine when I first got it, then it calmed down after a couple of days. Yours obviously isn't calming down. Did you try the SSD trick? I would think that whatever is running your HDD at 100% would also run the SSD at 100% as well, but your laptop might not be so laggy at the same time. Or a reinstall of windows. I have never done that so don't know how painful that would be

• pipoy
    Answer ✓
    Options

I just upgraded to SSD and added a ram and everything is working as I expected

This is a cheap laptop for what it can do so I really should have expected this.

the 100% disk may be an issue of RAM is full as well. Not enough RAM will write at the disk.

I know this because when I upgraded my RAM and SSD, i did not reinstall a windows yet.

I was using the laptop for 1 day and the laptop got faster.

When I installed a new windows, yes a new windows without those acer bloatware, everything is now as I want it to be