Acer S7-191 drains the internal battery when off or hibernating

Options
xorge84
xorge84 Member Posts: 3 New User

It's not a bad battery because when the external battery is connected the internal battery does not drain. From fully charged (100%) and left overnight, by morning the charge is down to 40%. I bought the laptop about 7 months ago and the battery had been working fine until a few days ago. There were no major updates or programs installed since then. I saw an old message about a similar problem, but there was no advice or fix. Thanks for any help.

Answers

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi..

Shut down the laptop, rather than hibernate it.

If it drains after 24 hours, then the fault is a bad battery.

If it does not drain after 24 hours, then it's not really hibernating. The computer is powering up for some reason.

90% of battery issues can be fixed by performing BIOS update.

You may perform a BIOS update on the laptop and check for the issue.

You can download the BIOS update form this laptop

Once it's downloaded, open that folder extract it and run the BIOS update file.

Then restart the laptop.

Note: Prior to starting this process, plug in the AC adapter to ensure the unit does not power off while updating the BIOS.

If my answer helped, click on KUDOS.
  • xorge84
    Options

Thanks for the advice, but it turns out I already had the latest BIOS version installed. For some reason, even when the computer is completely shut down something continues to drain the battery. It's clear now because if I leave the external battery attached while the computer is completely shut down the LED indicator on the external battery stays lit, just as when it is being used when the computer is turned on.

• xorge84
    Options

The interesting bit is that overnight the battery will drain from 100% to 30%, but it will take 2-3 days for the battery to continue draining from 30% to 20%.