Acer R5-471T-776J that won't restart or shut down correctly after 6/13/2017 Windows update

sdrone
sdrone Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have an Acer R5-471T-776J w/ i7-6500u w/ 8G RAM.

Is there any "general" solution to "my PC won't shut down or restart correct" after a Windows update?

I've had this problem occasionally.    this time it seems especially bad.

Windows update runs.   It installs the update.   It reboots the PC.   The PC works fine.   

HOWEVER...

If you restart the PC or shut down the PC, or the PC goes into sleep mode, the following happens.

Screen turns off.    PC seems to turn off.   But the power LED never goes off.    So the PC seems to think that the PC is still on.  It will sit there forever like that.   If I force-power it off, then turn it back on, it boots up and works AFTER it churns for a while.

I have hibernate disabled.    I've set the PC to never go to sleep so that I can at least use it.    Normally I can do a few checks (I can never remember what I do) and eventually get the PC to restart correctly.  Once I do that, it will shut down correctly and everything will be fine.  This time, I can't get it to restart correctly.

I do not yet have the Creator update installed.  I attempted to roll back to 6/12, prior to the latest update, but as part of that process the PC has to restart.  So the rollback failed as the PC hung when it attempted to restart

I've disabled fast startup.  that has not made a difference. 

I've no idea what to do.  I've created a recovery USB stick and opened a "feedback hub" problem.  At this point, I'm considering...

1.  Disabling or removing Intel management system

2.  A clean install (I'd really like to avoid this, as I simply don't have the time).