Acer Aspire S7-391 Windows 8.1 issus with Touch Screen and Trackpad

marcost
marcost Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello. I've just upgraded to Windows 8.1, everything went fine, but i realize that touch screen now is a lot less responsive than before, and many times i have to touch twice to make the action, something that never happened to me before with Windows 8.

¿Any suggestions?

Other thing is trackpad, that for example now doesnt do scrolling with 2 fingers and other things that did before.

Thanks

Best Answer

• rosustefan
    rosustefan Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

PROBLEM SOLVED WITH TOUCHSCREEN!

Go to Device Manager and look at the Human Interface Devices. There will be some USB devices that end up being the touchscreen. If you change the power options on those so they don't turn off to save power the problem should be fixed.

Please let me know how this works for you.

I have an Acer S7 391.

Answers

• tmk
    tmk Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I too experenced touchpad issues - I removed and reinstalled the drivers and that seemed to work. 

Be nice if it just worked.. 

Question is - will there be any new Windows 8.1 drivers for the S7-391? Acer?

TMk

• jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter

Drivers should not be a issue from 8.0 to 8.1. Its not a fundamental change in the OS. Just some added features and refreshes. Its possible some changes have affected certain aspects. I for example noticed right away my browser reduced zoom to 80% from 100% and I think its because Acer defaults the DPI settings to 125% and not 100% in order to make everything a bit bigger on the small screen. But as far as drivers if their were any required for 8.1 from Acer they will be posting them soon if not already.

• lmariam
    lmariam Member Posts: 6 New User

I agree, Windows 8.1 made the S7-391 almost unuseable in my opinion. The keyboard and touchpad sucked before and now scroll doesn't work and you can only left click in the bottom left corner. For people trying to type, you need the touchpad. Thank god I have a macbook air to use!

• saintya
    saintya Member Posts: 1 New User

I also experience those problems, too.
    The touchscreen is quite a big issue since do it twice looks like an *****.

About the touchpad, like TMk said,

only need to reinstall the dirver and everything works fine.

Notice that the new touchpad driver bring us much more customization than before.

If the company won't fix the touchscreen issue,

I decide to rollback my S7 to win8Smiley Sad

• marcost

I did nothing and trackpad now supports again gestures with 2 fingers and all like before. But touchscreen is still acting weird, there's a delay when i first touch it, and then start working normal. But when i don't use the touchscreen for some seconds, after when i touch it again, it does the same delay to start working. Any suggestions? thanks everybody for the comments.

• buzzman
    buzzman Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

really strange. I had the same problem and the re-installed the Elan drivers. It seemed to work, but after every restart of the computer, it doesn't work. I have to go back to the Elan settings, open them and save, then it works again.

I'm really confused about all the problems since I'm coming from a MacBook where I never saw such big problems (I already had several restarts and Norton tells me about some kind of problem all the time).

Also the touchpad scrolling (once it works) is much more smoother in desktop mode than in the Windows 8 start screen.

• rosustefan

Tinkerer

Hello!

Same problem here with touchscreen and trackpad.

Did anyone make a fresh/clean install of windows 8.1? i mean erase everything from laptop and install windows 8.1?

Could work.

Please response.

• lmariam

Tech support suggested that I reinstall Windows and start over. I love this as this is something only tech support could come up with. I've had the machine for close to a year and without having any idea that it will have, you ask me to start over from ground zero? I don't think so.

If you do a google search for 8.1 preview, you can see people complaining about the touch pad for several months before 8.1 officially came out. Possibly your tech support people don't know this.

I saw one comment were a user installed the updated ELAN drivers but looking at Acer website does not show any updated drivers other than the one which came out a long time ago.

I will say that the keyboard is much better under 8.1 as my incidence of getting double letters on keystrokes appears to be virtually gone. So I guess we're making progress except with the touchpad.

I've had to turn off all the side swipe features as I was continually getting the machine jumping to a different application.

If you are going to use the laptop as a tablet then figure out how to rip out the keyboard but if I want a tablet, I'll use my tablet. Having said that, IMHO Windows 8 is virtually unusable without a touch screen but for things like workprocessing, using your finger is not an alternative.

Now what's amazing, is that suddenly I have two finger scrolling on my touchpad? Yet as far as I knew there have been no updates installed? Weird! 

• lmariam

Sorry forget my comment about the touchpad scrolling starting to work and the keyboard not giving me double letters. I'm so stupid, I just realizing that I'm typing this on my MacBook Air!

• rosustefan

Tinkerer

what about the touchscreen problem? did you encounter that?

i often find myself double tapping on the screen before registring the comand.

i see other people have this problem too.

thanks!

• marcost

The problem with the touchscreen is horrible. have to double tap to do something makes it unusable, and the gesture for the charms or multitasking are not possible. Anybody found a solucion?

• sreddy642
    sreddy642 Member Posts: 1 New User

Acer has released a new set of drivers for Windows 8.1.

Just go to http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and then pick Acer Aspire S7 391 with Windows 8.1.

You will see a set of new drivers all dated 10/8/2013 or later. Install the touchpad driver and you will be all set with double finger scrolling, etc.

• rosustefan

Tinkerer

The driver solved the problem with the trackpad, but as you see there are 2 different problems.

As far as i am concerned, the most serious one is the one regarding the touchscreen being not that responsive. There is no driver for touchscreen.

I have send an email to acer support and i am waitingfor answer. Please anyone with this problem , send emails because we need to find answer.
  • marcost

Yes, trackpad problem is solved, but not the  touchscreen! I hope we can find a solution soon. the delay makes it unusable

• rosustefan

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

PROBLEM SOLVED WITH TOUCHSCREEN!

Go to Device Manager and look at the Human Interface Devices. There will be some USB devices that end up being the touchscreen. If you change the power options on those so they don't turn off to save power the problem should be fixed.

Please let me know how this works for you.

I have an Acer S7 391.

• marcost

Thanks rosustefan!! I just did it and it solved the problem with the touchscreen. Smiley Happy

• jonstatt
    jonstatt Member Posts: 76 Troubleshooter

Have you all lost a row of tiles in Windows 8.1?

Before I had 5 rows of tiles (no registry hacks). Now I only have 4 rows of tiles since updating to 8.1

• tylerpw
    tylerpw Member Posts: 1 New User

I've never experienced this problem but all of the widespread legitimate issues with the S7 that you can find in this form (WiFi, Bluetooth, touchpad, Fan noise issues) highlight a bigger issue with Windows device manufacturers.

I've had the S7 391 for about a week. I think it's the best looking/feeling Windows machine on the market which is why I bought it. It took hours on hours of configuration to solve all of the out of box issues with this PC. It's completely unacceptable. The average participant on this forum is more tech savvy than the average consumer who believe a driver is someone who picks them up in a towncar. We're better equipped to fix the issues off the bat. Macbooks "just work" which understandbly drives swarms of people to them. I prefer Windows to OS X by a huge margin but Acer can't expect to win over customers if these problems persist.

I've gotten everything to work and I LOVE this PC. I'm just scared to update any drivers as I've finally gotten this thing to work. I appreciate the insight provided by everyone on this forum. 

• brjoce
    brjoce Member Posts: 2 New User

Has anyone else noticed that the elan win 8.1 drivers don't allow you to disable edgeswipe on the touchpad.  At least the previous version allowed that; needless to say, I went back to the old elan driver.  On the other hand, I do prefer the win 8.1 updates.  Additionally, I've had the S7 391 since Nov, 2011, and I can't say that I've had the issues with wifi or bluetooth, though  I was aware of the wifi issue when the system was first released, I just didn't have the dropouts, others were having.  I did have the issue with the touchscreen, after the update, but I followed the advice of one of our fellow forum followers to address it.  Overall, I do love this ultrabook, but like others, I wish acer would do a better job of supporting their systems, addressing issues when they crop up, particularly ones that cost as much as this one.  

• brjoce
    brjoce Member Posts: 2 New User

Sorry, meant Nov 2012