Acer Aspire R7: Touchscreen suddenly stopped working

Badabim
Badabim Member Posts: 1 New User

hello! i have a problem with the touchscreen of my laptop Acer r7 ! i was watching a movie form an external HDd when the touchscreen stoped working! i rebooted the system (nothing happend) and i also made an factory restore! STILL NOTHING!!! the touchscreen is NOT WORKING!!! Any sugestions? PLSSSS

Answers

• Acer-Blayn
    Acer-Blayn Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

If you recovered your system and reloaded Windows, that would rule out a software problem. I would suggest contacting Acer service in your region, to inquire about setting up repair.

• albert5lj
    albert5lj Member Posts: 3 New User

I also had the same problem. i called acer and they said it would take 2 to 3 weeks for them to repair my laptop and i didn't want to wait. so i decided to fix it myself besides i know a lot about computers (also in electrical engineering major). i did research and found out that this problem wasn't even acer r7 problem, it was actually Windows 8.1 problem with touch screen laptops. SO YES THIS SOLUTION WILL ALSO WORK FOR OTHER LAPTOPS HAVING THE SAME ISSUES ON WINDOWS 8.1. Let's get started.

STEP 1: Go to acer's driver download @ http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Download the latest BIOS update for your laptop model type. Install it and wait for it to finish and restart.

STEP 2: Go to task manager. Click on "services" tab and then click on "open services". Find the following services, right click on properties and change their start up to AUTOMATIC (if it isn't already)

>> APPLICATION EXPERIENCE

>> HUMAN INTERFACE DEVICE SERVICE

>> EZel SENSOR SERVICE

>> DIAGNOSTIC POLICY SERVICE

>> PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY ASSISTANT SERVICE

>> TOUCH KEYBOARD AND HANDWRITING PANEL SERVICE

RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

STEP 3: Go to Device Manager >Expand "Human Interface Devices"

Right Click on ALL the USB Input Device > Properties > Power Management tab

UNCHECK the "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power."

Click Apply and OK.

RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

STEP 4: On the START SCREEN search for "touch" and click on the "Calibrate the screen for pen and touch inputs." On the Display tab, click on "Setup" > select "touch", and then touch on your laptop touchscreen. Hit "Enter" key if screen doesn't automatically close. Click Apply and then OK.

You can also use this ^^ step to calibrate your touch screen after RESTART.

STEP 5: Go to Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings. Make the following changes.

USB settings > USB selective suspend settings > Disable of On battery and plugged in.

RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reply and let me know if this worked for you.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ALSO WHILE AT IT, YOU CAN BOOST UP YOUR ACER R7 INTERNET

STEP 1: Go to Device Manager > Network Adapters > Broadcom .... network adapter > Properties.

Click on Advanced tab and change the following settings.

IBSS MODE > 802.11a/b/g Performance

XPress (TM) Technology > Enabled

STEP 2: your wifi should restart and reconnect to your network. HAPPY FAST SURFING.

**PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS ANY ONE ELSE BECAUSE I'VE ONLY TRIED IT ON MY LAPTOP AND IT'S BEEN WORKING FINE SINCE.**

• mxmoody
    mxmoody Member Posts: 4 New User

Well, I followed your instructions and the internet surfng helped. How about a better WIFI setting? However I'm having issues with the touchscreen. First, there ws juice silled on the computer. Would I need a new digitizer? THe screen still works. What doesn't make sense is the pen and touch icon disappears and comes back. The tablet icon is gone and seemed to disappear with the initial windows 8.1 upgrade. I've done a factory reboot and still don't have touch. I bought this computer for the tablet functions and has been very disappointing. Tried to contact Acer and they tell me it's out of warrenty. I need some help please.

• Acer-Blayn
    Acer-Blayn Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

If there was juice spilled on the computer, Acer can still repair it, but there would be charges for the repair since liquid spills aren't covered under warranty. If you would like to have the system serviced, you can create your own repair order with Acer at https://customercare.acer.com/customercare/Default.aspx.