Acer Aspire R7 Core i7 release date?

Options
Rayman4449
Rayman4449 Member Posts: 1 New User

Is there any ballpark estimate on when the R7 with the Core i7 will be released in the US?  I know it's being sold overseas now and am holding off till this verion comes out.  Any info would be appreciated.

Answers

• kaytari
    kaytari Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I'm also waiting for this version. I would love to find a little more information on this.
  • jfboos
    jfboos Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

The perfect new release should have i7 and the possibility to have SSD of 256 or 512. Acer should also propose a more powerful battery or a battery extension for long trips. For the moment only Sony Duo 13 offers this kind of features for hibrid PC. Hope to see these feature in R7. Smiley Happy

• kslogan
    kslogan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am also waiting to hear any news on the R7 Core i7 US release date. 

• gmedia
    gmedia Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Oh my goodness! I have been waiting for the R7 i7 for MONTHS. I am starting to think that it is not comming out. I'm going to have to purchase something else Smiley Sad

Any news to help me wait possibly a a few more weeks?

Thanks!

Chris

• Jinchen
    Jinchen Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

If new release has 17 inch screen, that would be perfect.

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Not for people who travel! I carry mine to the office every day. Just plug it into a 27" monitor at home. Smiley Tongue

• jra166
    jra166 Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Options

I hope Acer hasn't given up on this design.  I love my 572.  So much in fact, I would buy a next generation version i7 for personal use.  I use my 572 for business. 

I also hope they will expand the next generation line to include various sizes.  A 13" design would be nice...

And I'm still waiting for a lenovo-like trackpoint to be added to the keyboard!  It just would make sense.

• QHertz
    QHertz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I would certianly be on the band wagon to purchase the R7 with the latest i7. But Acer as to do this rightSmiley Very Happy:

i7 - 2.0GHZ minimum

16GB  DDR3 

Intel Wireless-AC 7260HMW 

SSD 512 no HDD

card reader

6-cell battery

Or to bring the price down a little a AMD model:

AMD Quad-Core A8-Series APU

AMD Radeon HD 6620G

16GB  DDR3 

802.11ac

SSD 512 no HDD

card reader

6-cell battery

I hope that it will come out soon, my old Aspire 6920g is getting tired!

• KewlToyZ
    KewlToyZ Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

I'm waiting for this unit too.

This design is the best thing since sliced bread!

1080p touch display, i7 core, 2 GB Nvidia card

If you added a higher end 8MP image stabilizing HD forward facing cam for photo's and videos this thing would be the ultimate portable business tool.

• jra166

Tinkerer

Options

My guess is they are waiting for Windows 9.   Much like Windows 8, the R7, was an experiment into the future.  now we will see a perfected R7 and a perfected Windows operating system...  im excited!

• KewlToyZ
    Options

True, the preview is the end of the month. I just hope the Preview runs as Pro for testing in a production environment.

• jra166

Tinkerer

Options

Acer has announced the R13 and R14, 13 inch and 14 inch respectively.  Both lack the hinge of the R7, so neither one is a true next generation R7. 

With these new releases, the absence of a a 15 inch machine is clearly evident.  Will the R7 Hinge be replaced by the R13 and R14 design, or will we still see a 15 inch next generation R7?

It all comes down to the hinge.  Has the R7 Hinge been discontinued in favor a cheaper hybrid method, or will we still see a true Next Generation R7?

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
  • KewlToyZ
    Options

I preferred the R7. Better construction for my needs.

• KewlToyZ
    Options

I prefer the touchpad above too. The only way to improve the R7 was a num pad.

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

I hope they release another Ezel-hinge model. I really don't think I could go back.

Hmmm... actually, that Yogalike setup would meet my needs, if it had the trackpad at the back.

WHO USES A TRACKPAD?!

Acer even bundles a mouse with the R7! Smiley Very Happy

• MDacerGuy
    MDacerGuy Member Posts: 39

Tinkerer

Options

no 15" ?

no Ezel hinge?

THIS IS BAD

very bad

smh

I dont want ANY laptop that doesnt have the ezel hinge and the mouse pad above the keyboard

#AcerFail

• twospirits
    twospirits Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Yeah, I too was hoping for an updated R7 at yesterdays IFA event, but nope.

Totally disappointed in this new direction.

Come on Acer, why did you have to give in to the ***** that the media was hyping about. Just because most of the media didn't like the touchpad at the rear of the keyboard doesn't mean that actual users and potential buyers didn't. These new R series laptops with that new hinge are not as functional as the R7 was. For starters...

1-This hinge looks like its missing the upper part. At least the Dell XPS laptop when put in tablet mode looks better since the hinge wraps around the display. The hinge on the new R13 does not.

2-Putting the display in close up mode puts the keyboard behind the display, thereby rendering the keyboard useless. On the R7 at least the keyboard was still accessible. I can see not using a touchpad on a touch screen laptop, but not using a keyboard in that mode is a total fail.

3-Putting the display in suspended (star trek) hover mode on the R7 allowed the user to type while standing since the keyboard was closer. with the new models, the touchpad is out front (again useless on a touch screen display) while having the keyboard further back making it harder to type.

That article by Engadget is so typical of the media with their bashing of the original R7 touchpad at the rear concept. Most users prefer the touchpad either disabled, out of the way (like the R7) or use an external mouse. 

I'm still shaking my head.

All the naysayers could have been appeased if Acer would have updated the next gerneration of the R7 by either..

A: Providing a pointer in the keyboard like in some previous Acer laptops eliminating the touchpad altogether or

B: Provide a slide out touchpad like in some Motorola Keyboards. (but I like the pointer solution better).

C: Keep the unique hinge design but with less of a curve to allow for a more flatter tablet mode.

D: Resize the keyboard a tiny bit and shift it a bit to the left thereby providing space on the right for a numerical keypad.

E: Include a ethernet port

F: Include a stylus port (as well as provide the darn stylus when selling the unit).

G: Better configurations (15, 17 etc)

H: and certainly do not limit the sale of the itme to only one retailer (Best Buy) which didn't do Acer any favors by downplaying the device and not selling them as well as they should have since they too, like the media, hated the rear touchpad.

If it seems that I am upset, disappointed, you darn right I am. We could have gotten a much better R7 replacement and instead get a the "I want to be like everyone else" R13, R14. 

Maybe there is hope for a R15 but seeing how Acer caved in, I doubt it.

TS

• KewlToyZ
    Options

I agree, the R7 was a brilliant implementation. I'm buying them from Ebay for my users now as refurbs now.

The R7 Kicks the ***** out of HP, Dell, & Lenovo's units in price, utility, and construction.

With SSD's getting so cheap now, they should be standard equipment on the next iteration when you bring back the R7.

Putting the touchpad above the keyboard was the best idea for a terrific road warrior appliance.

After all, the screen is touch!

• twospirits
    twospirits Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Yeah, usually I have way better luck on buying refurbished items than regular ones, since the regular ones do break down on me. The refurbished ones ironically, continue working and don't break down. I got mine from Acer direct and it's also a refurbished model (althought I swear it was more of a open box unit since I see nothing wrong with it at all).  I just added memory and eventually will add an ssd hard drive and its running great. No issues whats so ever. Smiley Happy

(btw my full review is on Amazon in my sig).

Anyway going back on topic, I am going to treat this baby very very well. Hopefully it will last a long time. Eventually some manufacturer will make a similar R7 hinge like 15" device with a digitizer. Currently of all the pen enabled devices out there that are 15", the Sony Vaio Flip 15a is the closest to the R7 design. I see them possibly continuing with that design. But with Sony pulling out of the PC market and their issue with fan noise I refuse to go back to them. (I had the 13a and it was awesome except for the fan noise).

The R7 was and still is the best flexible convertible pivot slider laptop hands down.

TS