Acer Aspire R7-372T touchpad moving and clicking on its own

Options
mesag
mesag Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello.

I have Acer Aspire R7-372T laptop, and its touchpad is not working properly. Its moving and clicking on its own. Or not movin how I want, when im moving crosshair. Tried to delete the drivers from computer and let windows install them back on restart, but that didn't help. It feels like software problem, because when I disable touchpad with FN-button when its not working properly and activate it immediately, touchpad works again well for a while, then it starts moving wrong and clicking on its own.

Tried to find drivers for touchpad from Acer's site, but didn't find. Is there touchpad drivers somewhere? Or do you have some ideas I should try out?

Thanks a lot already, sincerely

mesag

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Go to settings(click start and click the wheel), click Devices, click Touchpad in the left side, try disabling any features you don't use, for example "Pinch to zoom" or something else, reboot and see if it fixes the problem, if not you can always Reset it to default settings.

Capture.JPG

• mesag
    Options

Thanks for the reply, but that didn't help. Mouse still moving on its own and clicking. Maybe it is hardware problem, I bought this computer about 1 year ago as a refurbished from Acer, and the problem has been here always. I didn't need this computer for the first year like at all, but now when I've been using this, it is really annoying. Do I need to check something, or just do a warranty report for Acer?

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

Let us try this, go to Device Manager, expand System Devices, highlight Intel Serial IO I2C Host Controller and right click, select Properties, go to Driver tab and post the snip of version of the driver please.

Capture.JPG

• IvanBE
    IvanBE Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

I've been having the exact same issue with my Acer R7-372T for over a year now. It has been in repair for 3 times, and still the 'jumping cursor' problem persists. During those repairs, both the touchpad and the motherboard have been replaced - and still no luck.

I have applied for a replacement of the laptop, but Acer Belgium claims that the R7-372T is out of stock and won't be restocked. They offer me a Spin 5 instead. I prefer the wonderful hinge on the T7-372T, though.

So if anyone has a solution for this problem, I'd be happy to hear about it.

• mesag
    Options

11dfb4d383b51f5ab27fa72a40496dc5.pngI updated both drivers, earlier ones were from 3.3.2016. I wasn't able to use computer for a week, thats why I didn't reply earlier. I hope this helps, but IvanBE's situation sounds really bad. I'll just hope that this driver update helps

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi mesag,

Hope that resolves the problem for you.

• IvanBE
    Options

I can hardly believe it, after all the repair attempts by Acer, but a couple of days ago, I updated the driver brummyfan2 suggested, and the cursor problem seems to have disappeared! It only occurred once, when my computer was suffering from another error - but apart from that, it's gone for now. :-)

Thank you so much.

• brummyfan2
    Options

IvanBE wrote:

I can hardly believe it, after all the repair attempts by Acer, but a couple of days ago, I updated the driver brummyfan2 suggested, and the cursor problem seems to have disappeared! It only occurred once, when my computer was suffering from another error - but apart from that, it's gone for now. :-)

Thank you so much.

Hi,

You are welcome and thanks for posting your experienceSmiley Very Happy

• brummyfan2
    Options

I have marked this thread as solved to help others in similar situation, if it doesn't help for any reason, please post your request for further help.

• IvanBE
    Options

I cheered too early. The problem's back. Smiley Sad

Also, I get 'Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered' error messages. Which I didn't get before they replaced my motherboard.

Such a bummer.

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Go to touchpad settings and try disbling features one by one and observe the behaviour, for example, you could try disabling Pinch to zoom or Drag two fingers to scroll.

For the graphics problem, go to Device manager, uninstall the adapter driver, reboot and let Windows install the driver.

Capture2.JPG

• IvanBE
    Options

Thanks again for the advice.

1. I let the computer re-install the display drivers and haven't had igfx errors since

2. I'll try to disable the touchpad features, but I tried this before, and then it didn't help.

This is such a strange problem. I can't even figure out if it's hardware or software based. I think it's a hardware thing - but Acer replaced both the touchpad and the motherboard. Are there any other components that can cause the cursor to basically go nuts?

And why does it sometimes function properly for a couple days in a row, while on other occasions the cursor keeps on jumping around constantly?

*sigh*

Acer offered to replace my laptop with a Spin 5, but I really, really prefer the unique hinge of the R13. Does anyone know if this model will truly disappear? That would be a regrettable decision, because if it works, the R13 is such a marvellous computer.

• IvanBE
    Options

Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem. Disabling the features you suggested didn't help: the 'jumping' issue persists.

Strangely enough, sometimes the problem seems to be gone for days on end, or even for a full week. But then, when I least expect it, it's back. And so annoying.

This inclines me to think it's not an individual hardware issue after all. I'm afraid the touchpad is faulty by design. But a lot of other laptop manufacturers use the same piece of hardware, and they manage to 'overrule' the skipping/jumping/clicking issue with their drivers.

Therefore, I tried installing touchpad drivers from other manufacturers (like Lenovo). But unfortunately, my laptop seems to use the drivers that are installed under Intel(R) Serial IO I2C Host Controller - 9D61 only. Cause when I disable or uninstall these drivers, the touchpad stops working altogether (until I reboot).

When I disable or uninstall the Lenovo drivers I installed myself (under Synaptics Pointing Device), on the other hand, the touchpad does keep on functioning. (Same story when I disable/uninstall the drivers under Intel(R) Serial IO I2C Host Controller - 9D60: this doesn't seem to have any impact whatsoever.)

Strangely enough, when I go to Settings > Devices > Touchpad > Additional Settings > Hardware, it does not show Serial IO I2C Host Controller - 9D61, but... the Synaptics Pointing Device.

Is there any way in which I can force Windows 10 to turn to the Synaptics drivers, and not to the 9D61 drivers?

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you still have the problem, go to BIOS settings, in Main tab switch to Basic from Advanced and see whether you are able to use Synaptics touchpad driver.

After switching to Basic mode in BIOS, go to Acer support site abd download the Synaptics driver(version 19.0.7.31) and install it.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5674?b=1

PIC_2111.JPG

• dcull91
    dcull91 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

Hi we have a classroom of the Aspire R7-372T we have about 6 computers in the class experiencing this touchpad problem.  Your link to the acer website didnt have the Synaptics driver(version 19.0.7.31) is it named something else?Does it matter that the link was for the R7-371T and not the 372?

Thanks

Maddi_IntelSerialHostController_driverversion.PNG

• dcull91

Tinkerer

Options

Sorry I see that the driver is called touchpad driver and not Synaptics driver(version 19.0.7.31).

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Could you please go to Device manager, expand Mice and other Pointing devices, Human Interface Devices and post the snip.

Capture.JPG

• dcull91

Tinkerer

Options

Hope this helps.

ThanksScreenshot (1).png

• IvanBE
    Options

@brummyfan2

Once again: thank you for your adivce.

I did what you suggested, but unfortunately, not only did the problem persist, I also found out that this makes the touchpad a lot 'dumber' (no pinch to zoom, for instance).

I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas...

• IvanBE
    Options

dcull91

Now that's interesting. I'm curious to see if there's any kind of hardware difference between that R13s that funcion correctly and the faulty ones.

Could you please run a hardware scan app like HWiNFO (https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) on one laptop that has the problem and on one that doesn't? Perhaps Acer used different touchpads during the manufacturing of the R13.

hwnifo.JPG

Mine is apparently made by Elan Microelectronics. I found out that Elan makes touchpads for a lot of different brands (Acer, Lenovo, HP...), and that there are problems all over the place  it's not just an Acer thing. Strangely enough, a lot of users seem to encounter the 'cursor jumping issue' only when the laptop is plugged in, but I'm encountering it when running on battery too.