Acer Aspire R3-131T screws falling out, Randomly shutting off and small storage

Options
Chowder2757
Chowder2757 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have had this laptop for about a year now, and i have had generally no problems with it. The only problems that i have had with it is that the screws are constantly coming lose and falling out. Sometimes i can get lucky and catch them as they are lose and tighten them but, as of right now i am missing 4 out of the 11 screws. Another problem is that whenever the bottom piece of the laptop is moved on the table or set down my computer can just randomly shut down with no warning. Could these problems be linked? These are really the only problems that are minor. The biggest problem is the small storage that this computer has. This laptop gives me 28.5 Gig of storage to use but i could reset this laptop to factory files and settings then delete all the bloatware to only get about 9gig of free space. That free space gets quickly eaten up by windows updates. Is there any way to expand storage? I've tried using a 128gig sd card but that isn't working.

Answers

• Nehmo
    Nehmo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I've never had screws fall out of a laptop that has never been opened. I suspect yours has been opened and the screws were over tightened when it was re-assembled. 

To keep the screws in place, I'd try applying some thread-locker to the screws before putting them back in, and I'd get a bag of new screws to keep on hand. Take an old screw into a computer store or a hardware store, and match it.  

Regarding your storage issues, I'm working on that too. I also have an R3-131T, but I've only had it for a few days. 

You say an SD card didn't work. What happened exactly? Did Windows recognize the card in File Explorer?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

There is also a microswitch under one of the center screws, if it opens, the device will turn off. That may be your problem. That said I have never heard of screws just falling out.

Some time ago I bought one of these to have on my bench. Might be the most cost effective way to solve.