Acer Aspire R13 SSD Upgrade

Options
omartariq
omartariq Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi

Acers

So I manage to open my laptop. I was glad to see there is an empty slot for another PCI-e SSD. So I went to a shop got my self an SSD but it didnt work because it was not B+M PCI-e SSD it was only either B or M Only. So they told me to get the right one which I have to find online So i have been searching to buy one but I am unable to get the right one. Also im worried If, I get one and its also doesnt work because its not an B+M PCI-e SSD. Anyways If any one out there have upgraded their SSD or any suggesstions that could help I'will be waiting. thanks. I am also attaching the picture of the current ssd in my Laptop and the empty slot. If any one knows where I can buy one please let me know.

20151020_231556 (2).jpg20151020_231342 (2).jpg

Answers

• KEHinWA
    KEHinWA Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

Posted my info on the end of this thread.  Have Kingston 120GB SSD in raid 0 with the original 128GB SSD.

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series/R13-R7-371T-Raid-0/m-p/385643

• Alankevis
    Alankevis Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have just upgrade the storage for my Acer Aspire R13. What you need to find is a "M.2 SSD"

This specific M.2 SSD have different dimensions but the only different between them are just the length. Please take a look at the picture here:

M.2 SSDNotice they have 3 connection points. That is the crucial part. But honestly, don't worry, if you type M.2 SSD, it should come up the correct one to buy. For best fit, I would recommend to go with the 80mm one but of course the shorter version will fit in the slot just fine (you will have to tape it down to the motherboard as there won't be a screw slot there.)

This is the one I got. At newegg

Once you have it, simply plug it in, go to window partition disk and see if window recognize the new drive then format it. This will give you an extra Disk in My computer (D:\) Now if you want to do Raid 0 with the already installed SSD, it will be more complicated and I'm not an expert on that.

• Alankevis
    Alankevis Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

An update on the speed of the installed drive and new Samsung Evo drive:

Stock Kingston

Kingston stock.PNG

This is Samsung EVO

Samsung EVO.PNG

• KEHinWA
    KEHinWA Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

This is two Kingstons in RAID 0 on my R13

DiskMark.PNG

• craiggsean
    craiggsean Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Your post is helpful! 

If the original SSD is 128GB, do I need 128GB for the additional slot

or can I choose 256 GB?

I don't plan to RAID0 .

Thanks so much for your help!

• craiggsean
    craiggsean Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Your post is helpful. 

Which solution did you end up going with?

Thanks!

• Beto778
    Beto778 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello everyone, 

Ok after some pocking around and playing with many different types of drives, such as SM951 AHCI, sata m.2, HP P700pro, and the original lite-on drives on RAID as well as the SM951 NVMe... I have found that the best one for this laptop in any size is the SM951|NVMe, you just have to get the drivers for it and off you go!... I have read speeds of 1900 mb/s and writes of 1250 mb/s all of this is been tested today as I finally got the laptop to run smoothly. 

Please keep in mind that:

Lite-on 128gb drives on a RAID 0 is only giving me: 785 MB/s reads and 580 MB/s writes and this is a much risky setup even though the laptop comes like that from factory.

The 256 SM951 NVMe comes as a OEM for Samsung and is a single unit but I have to tell you this little bugger make my day today :)  ...

The model number for the SM951 NVMe is:  MZVPV256HDGM-00000
    you can find them on amazon @  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014FYUPVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Vofking
    Vofking Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Beto778 said:
    Hello everyone, 

Ok after some pocking around and playing with many different types of drives, such as SM951 AHCI, sata m.2, HP P700pro, and the original lite-on drives on RAID as well as the SM951 NVMe... I have found that the best one for this laptop in any size is the SM951|NVMe, you just have to get the drivers for it and off you go!... I have read speeds of 1900 mb/s and writes of 1250 mb/s all of this is been tested today as I finally got the laptop to run smoothly. 

Please keep in mind that:

Lite-on 128gb drives on a RAID 0 is only giving me: 785 MB/s reads and 580 MB/s writes and this is a much risky setup even though the laptop comes like that from factory.

The 256 SM951 NVMe comes as a OEM for Samsung and is a single unit but I have to tell you this little bugger make my day today :)  ...

The model number for the SM951 NVMe is:  MZVPV256HDGM-00000
    you can find them on amazon @  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014FYUPVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you please give the link to NVME driver?