ACER Aspire R13 set up as desktop

knoxvegasc
knoxvegasc Member Posts: 2 New User

I just purchased an ACER ASpire R13 at costco and am looking to use it as my desktop also.  I wanted to know what equipment is recommended to do this, docking station, additional external hard drive, etc. and any tips/advice on setting it up.

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

I bought a Kensington Trackball, a 24" monitor, mounted on wall and a good HDMI cable and I'm set.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

I'd start with a Mediasonic docking station, external keyboard, mouse/trackball. USB DVD BluRay burner, external GB drive for backup, two 24" monitors, and a wired gigabit line. That is what I have.

• philetus

You have everything except the Chraftsman computer tool desk.20160401_211157.jpg

• padgett

No room. I build my systems into closets.

• philetus

Looks like you could cause your neighbors to have brownouts when you turn it all on. I like the Felix clock.

• padgett

Is all modern devices using two KVMs. This rig started with CRTs, a laser printer, and multi chip memories. Now those pulled a lot of power. Everything is low power these days and running through a UPS smooths surges. Modems & routers are in a different closet

One thing a Floridian never takes for granted is reliable power. Have a couple of electronics grade generators in the garage just in case.

• knoxvegasc
    knoxvegasc Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks.  It was very helpful!  Every is all hooked up through an plugable docking station now.  I have an external hard drive, an external optical drive, a wireless keyboard/trackpadand an ACER T232HL touchscreen monitor all hooked into the docking station.  I am having issues getting the external touchscreen working.  I can use the keyboard but cannot get the screen to work in touch mode.  If you have any suggestions let me know.  Thanks again!

• padgett

Just ca side note, looking at a number of docking stations I suspect that all use the display link engine and there are three models: single video display (may have two plugs but are the same display), true dual display (usually DVI and HDMI) with 2 USB 3.0 plugs and 2-4 USB 2.0, dual display with all USB 3.0. Other than that the main difference is the power supply capacity. My Targus has a 6A supply, others have less.