windows xp dics for acertravelmate

Options
css
css Member Posts: 4 New User

I am a new member and I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how do I get a windows XP disc for my acer travel mate since my hard drive was corrupted. When i bought the laptop, the Disc was not included. I still have the keys as proof of purchase. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello css,

In which country do you live?

What version of windows xp have you?

France
  • css
    Options

usa, have the home version

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

it's not possible to get the recovery discs for this laptop from Acer. You need to check with any retail store to see if the retail version of XP is available. Even Microsoft do not sell XP discs.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi css

See here to buy Windows XP, and check out Acer support to see if the XP drivers are listed for your model.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello css,

"Your hard disk drive has been corrupted (not dead)". Does it work?

In this case, you can try to start erecovery from your HDD (hidden partition) and burn a DVD in defaults factory.

Look this video: Restore Windows from the Recovery Partition

Look this document: Acer eRecovery Management

An other solution, that''s to download an original image ISO (free and legal) in US version.

France
  • css
    Options

Thanks, I am going to try it.

• css
    Options

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to buy the xp disc through Ebay as it is advertised at a reasonable cost and I do have the product key.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options
    Great!

Let us known when you're up and running!
  • laurent_14
    Options

Reminder:

What is Windows XP end of support?

Microsoft has provided support for Windows XP for the past 12 years. But now the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.

As a result, after April 8, 2014, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive anti-malware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to protect your PC.)

If you continue to use Windows XP after support ends, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter greater numbers of apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.

France
This discussion has been closed.