[PROBLEM] Liquid E2 (V370) MyTracks / GPS reporting false distances

Options
AlastairHW
AlastairHW Member Posts: 30 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hello All

I've just tested MyTracks on my V370 to follow by cycle ride and it's reporting I rode about 43 miles, it was nothing of the sort.

I also tested it with Ulysse Speedo tonight and it's also reporting false top speeds and distance.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks, Alastair

Answers

• Fr3d
    Fr3d Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the same problem.
    Every app that uses tracking ( i like to use endomondo or runstatic) has this issue

As far i have found it is a Android software problem with the hardware (chipset) that is used.

Please update chipset drivers or software so i can use my phone for tracking my activities, one of my main uses of a phone

• mrrog
    mrrog Member Posts: 42 New User
    Options
    just like to add my voice to this for a solution
  • mrrog
    Options
    runkeeper seems ok
  • AlastairHW
    Options

Yes it seems to be some apps and not all, I have now installed the latest Acer_AV061_V370_1.023.00_WW_GEN1 ROM and will retest to see if it has fixed the issues, will report back later.

Thanks, A.

• locu
    locu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I seem to have this problem too including the the lastest build just **bleep** out yesterday. 

Build number

acer_av061_v370_1.0230.00_ww_gen1 custom builb version 1374635290

• mrrog
    Options
    as I said before runkeeper for tracks seems ok, but I also noticed that in the osmand nav app the estimated distance was way out, osmand seem to have now fixed this with an update so it looks like an app problem rather that a phone problem?
  • pedrito
    pedrito Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi, I do confirm that the last ROM (OTA update: Acer_AV061_V370_1.023.00_WW_GEN1) does NOT fix the issue (tested with Endomondo PRO). And I got no answer from ACER about a fix release date.....

• mrrog
    Options
    I reckon its endomondo who need to fix, something about using double floating point integers, I would ask myself, but only using the freebie version it seems a little cheeky
  • Fr3d
    Fr3d Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Problem is still with in various apps.
    Endomundo, mytracks ( google!!) etc don't work. Well they work, but they do not measure the distance as it should.

it is still a software problem of the OS in combination with the hardware.
    Im going to call support for this, what i want a refund on my phone.....

• palinz
    palinz Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Same problem here with Endomondo Pro on Liquid E2 duo.

Android 4.2.2

MOLY.WR8.W1248.MD.WG.MP.V5.P30 updated on 23/07/2013 did not solved

Acer_AV061_V370_1.023.00.WW.GEN1 

I tried to mention (through a link) that 2 other releases of Android solved the problem but my message was removed as "talking about rooting". My only intention was to show evidence that IT IS a problem of the OS, not of the app, and to eventually suggest where to find HOW other solved. I never talked ABOUT rooting and I'm not interested in.

Please solve asap this very disappointing bug.

Best regards.

• Pagadder1
    Pagadder1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have exactly the same problem. 

I tested it with Endomondo Pro and MyTracks.

My Acer has the same specs (Android - Build#) as yours.

@Acer: Please solve this issue.

with kind regards.

• AlastairHW
    Options

Hi All,

I've asked the support team (via acer support in the UK) to raise a problem report for this. 

Hello (again),

I would like to raise a problem report with the latest version on the Android OS for the Acer Liquid E2 (V370) - Acer_AV061_V370_1.023.00_WW_GEN1.

I purchased my device from expansys in the UK. in June 2013. 

As reported by a number of users in your forum here (http://community.acer.com/t5/Smartphones/PROBLEM-Liquid-E2-V370-MyTracks-GPS-reporting-false-distances/td-p/106371)
    and here
    (https://code.google.com/p/mytracks/issues/detail?id=1316)
    and here
    (http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-1-4-2-4-3-jelly-bean/302476-4-2-1-acer-liquid-e2-gps-problems.html)

and also noted here it seems to be an issue with the chipset included in the phone and the android operating system, we need a fix which needs to be included which solves the issue.

Thanks, A

I'll keep you posted as to their response.

A

• AlastairHW
    Options

Update: No response from Acer as yet.... not even an acknowledgement!

• pedrito
    pedrito Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

hi,

issue reported again (through Chat service this time), no response about a fix date, or even a way to track the issue.... this is becoming very frustrating !

• AlastairHW
    Options

Well I finally have a reponse 

"Thank you for contacting Acer Technical Support. 

I apologise for the delay in responding to your e-mail.

From your description of this fault, I see that your machine may need to be brought into our repair centre, for further evaluation and possible repair."

Along with a request for my Windows password, huh?

Thanks, Alastair

• palinz
    Options
    LOL!

"Have you put the battery into the phone? "

Ok, we need to overcome the 1st level support.
  • scout11202
    scout11202 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi, 

Does anyone know Acer is going to fix that issue? 
    It's really annoying thing.
    If it's not going to be fixed, I have to buy a new phone and forget about ACER forever.

• palinz
    Options

I think they are still not understanding that there is a issue to be fixed.

As temporary solution I switched to RunKeeper that probably calculate speed/distance in a different way and it works. Anyway, I remark that this is NOT an "app issue", but an OS issue with our specific CPU as proved by other Android fixed releases.

In my case the phone is working very well for everything else apart from few minor bugs and I'm also very happy with the battery duration. So I will not change it, but I will think twice in future before buying another Acer smartphone, as they don't seem to be ready for that market.

Good luck.

• palinz
    Options

Wow wow wow.... Received an update this morning, then home to work logged with Endomondo and... SURPRISE, EVERYTHING WAS FINE! 

I will try again tomorrow, anyone can confirm? 

• AlastairHW
    Options

Yes I also received a 4.2.2 OTA update and things seem to be ok...

This discussion has been closed.