Acer CloudMobile S500 - important

Options
mihaiconst
mihaiconst Member Posts: 18 New User

Hi guys!

I have more than 1 issue with my S500, so I hope that in the future those it will be repaired through the updates packs.

Recently I noticed that my device is shutting down (no restart!) when I want to take a picture or to access a application. When is turned on, I try again the same application - the results is the same, unexpected shutdown. These problems are increasingly more often in the past 1wk, and these are signed applications, are random and I think that is a big problem. The hardware configuration is enough powerful, if you think that hasn't sufficient RAM, or the CPU is at failure level Smiley Happy - In your opinion this is a thing that I can resolved with warranty/replacement/service or is an Android issue and I could wait the Jelly Bean?

Battery - Question: Acer has released an extra battery? cuz' this is other big problem with this device - it's a pitty to have such a device and to be bound to have the charger with you all the time.

On the Internet .. I found more then ten forums and discussions .. about the Countries/Carriers who have sold this device, for example: ROMANIA/ ORANGE - is blamed that has sold a low range Acer S500 product and in other countries, such Germany, France.. this model has many differences and good reviews (for example: Orange RO has other version of Android, or the display (IPS)  from ROMANIA is green and in France is blue (...) - someone from ACER, maybe a Tech.. could respond to this subject? This is true, or a lot of Acer S500 users are talking nonsense?

Keep in touch..

Thank you guys!

Answers

• RobW
    RobW Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options
    I also have many issues with this phone. Some of them are fot sure related to the ICS 4.0.4 version and others might be related. The Acer helpdesk stated that the Jelly Bean version would be deliverd mid January. Now after the 1st week of January I asked if they could give me a exact date but now I'm revered to Google te complain about de ICS issues.... So I'm a bit lost now..
  • Vache
    Vache Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

Options

Guys, if your issues are mosly related to Android crashes, before complaining about the phone, you may check twice what you installed on it, you have configured...

The phone is pretty stable, as well as the ICS stock ROM.

Now that Acer created a community, you can also create topics to ask for help.

You may find help here also http://www.modaco.com/forum/671-acer-cloudmobile/.

• RobW
    Options
    The issues are not related to android crashes!! It's e.g. about: - Wifi not connecting to accesspoints. - When connected to wifi or G3 often not getting any data transfer. - - Gmail is not synchronising all new incoming e-mail. Known ICS 4.0.4. issue. - When accepting an appointment invitation no conformation is send out the party thas sents the invitation. Known ICS 4.0.4. issue
  • mihaiconst
    Options

I agree with RobW, this is not my 1st Android device and excuse me but it's not so hard to configure this Acer. Has limited settings when comes about a lot of features.

But, in resolution - this is not a bad phone, ok - I've understand that when I bought it, BUT (always is a BUT) Acer needs to set up these little problems fast, 'cuz in Europe this device was a real bomb for Samsung S3 and HTC

I am curious that other ICS 4.0.x device has the same issues. (?)

Where u from guys? from Europe? - is the display the same Smiley Happy) .. green type?

Keep in touch! Thanks!

M

• mihaiconst
    Options

I forgot... does Acer S500 how I view my memory card Smiley Happy) ?

The apps by default are installed on the phone memory .. ok, is not a tragedy, has plenty memory if u are not a gamer, but if I wanna access or move something on the card .. how do I do it? I don't want to install any "Explorer Manager" app on my device.

..See? - other ISSUE!

• RobW
    Options
    The invitation feedback works with Invitaion Plugin. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cleansoft.invitationplugin&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jbGVhbnNvZnQuaW52aXRhdGlvbnBsdWdpbiJd It's only to bad that it only works when you ar using the Gmail app and not when you are using the standard email app..... The ACER helpdesk came with this solution. Thanks guys..
  • claudium
    claudium Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Anyone got any straight answers for the crashes ? ... I have the same problems .... The phone shuts down when I'm trying to take a picture or sometimes even when i activate the mobile data access ... @Vache : if the problems are due to the apps i've been installing how do i discover wich apps are the prb ?????

• claudium
    Options

I observed something : the crashes hapened only when the mobile data access is active ... how is that possible and how can i resolve the prb ?

• mihaiconst
    Options

@claudium:

Yep, it's true.. when wifi (when its really working of courseMan Sad) or mobile data are active the phone sometimes crashes.

Yesterday, a NEW jiggi was happen'... now it restarts and when it's opened is passed thru the security code (PIN)... so no comment, in this moment I am very disappointed by this device.

The big problem is that no one knows something reliable or solutions, updates (in future) that can grant us that these issues, crashes, bugs will be not existing.

In this moment I wanna change this device, has only 1 month and I think that I was fooled by Acer , I cannot communicate ok and certainly I cannot count on it.

• claudium
    Options

I booted my device in cwm and i wiped the cache and the dalvik cache abot an hour ago ... the device seems to be stable now and doesn't shutdown anymore ... will see after a few more hours or even days

• mihaiconst
    Options

tks!

I have reported @Orange the problem, it should have an answer in any moment - I need to send the device in warranty service or .. I don't know .. I hope that I could change it with something else.

These stuff, like booting, wipe, CWM .. these are things that I, as a CUSTOMER, who I've payed for this end-user device I don't wanna get involved in such things, maybe .. you if u changed something in the phone's ROM ur warranty isn't available anymore.

This is not fair for Acer's customers or for any brand in this world, this is my opinion.

in the past, i have entirely crash a new Blackberry who costs 560 euros .. in operations like these .. so this time I will pass.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

I would like to look into the issues you are reporting. Can you please provide the Build Number for your smartphone? To see the build number select Apps > Settings > About Phone > Build Number.

• Mircerson
    Mircerson Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I got some strange problems with me Orange Acer S500 too..

Just randomly , sometimes , when im playing something ( NFS MW) or doing a movie capture or a photo.. the screen just basicly freeze and i can't  go home or do whatever with it.. i just need to remove the battery.... and for me this is really sad.. I'm minding of returning it ( 3 dead pixels - 2 down in the bottom right , and 1 in the bottom-mid left ) . This is a really "nasty" issue which is so ...

• mihaiconst
    Options

Hi,

The bulid no. is: ACER_AV043_S500_1.022.00_EMEA_ORGROD

Please give us an solution, this is not a good situation Smiley Sad

Tks!

• Lci80
    Lci80 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Hi i can also confirm some of the issues other users reported.Device is Acer S500(Orange RO) Build nr Acer_AV043_S500_1.022.00_EMEA_ORGROD.

Problems are as follows:

1. About once a week phone will freeze.It does not respond to power key or any othe button press.It does not receive phone calls and the only way to turn it on is to remove cover take out battery and restart it.Wondering how long will it take for the back cover to break Smiley Happy.

2. Sometimes phone freezes for 10 seconds and then restarts bypassing PIN.

3. Stuck pixels in lower right bottom corner(lots) and upper right corner (4-10).My guess is that maybe the screws in that area are too tight because if you put pressure on the screen somewhere else will look the same but when you remove the pressure the pixels will disappear.Just my 2 cents Smiley Happy

Phone is pretty much stock except NFC taginfo,Runkeeper,Shazam.I really like this phone (acer brand in general) i am coming from an acer f900 and a few acer laptops before never had any problems hope that this wont be the first acer device that disappoints me Smiley Happy.

• mihaiconst
    Options

2nd issue: a lot, 3 or 4 times/day ...

And definitely the phone after the restart issue it's bypassing the security code PIN.

Or sometimes have an unexpected shutdown.

Fortunately.. I don't have any dead pixels..... yet!

@Acer Tech: When we should have an answer?

So.. suppose that the Orange RO image version is damaged somehow... we could request @Orange Techs/Service to change the inital image version to the default Acer version (Acer.....GEN1)?

Keep in touch!

Tks!

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

Thanks for letting us know your version numbers, I have escalated your cases internally and the reported issues are under investigation. Since your smartphone is branded by Orange, I cannot yet say if and how a fix will be made available as this also depends on your telecom provider. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific at this moment, but for sure we are working to find a solution for you.

• Lci80
    Options

If we can help in any way as in do some testing on our devices just let us know.

• mihaiconst
    Options

Thanks Blayn!

We hope that u'll find a solution for us, because in my opinion Acer need to do this and Orange, as a telecom provider is forced to release any fixes that Acer develops.

Keep in touch!

• Lci80
    Options

I dont see any logical reason for Orange to be against an update that would bring first of all stability to this device(happy customers and less devices returned because of software problems).I can only se a win win situation for everyone involved.

Ps. Orange already replaced the first phone with a brand new one.

This discussion has been closed.