ACER AC100 Micro Server & RAID5 Setup Problem

Options
Daniel
Daniel Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi community

i've got the following problem with a new Acer AC100 Micro Server.

I'm trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 with the Acer Smart Setup Ver.2.0 .

The Server has 4 installed HDD's configured as a RAID5 with the onboard Intel RAID controller.

Starting the Acer Smart Setup works fine but the setup isn't able to detect the RAID5 volume.

Setting up the system with RAID10 (configured with the onboard Intel) works without any problems but it takes at least several hours to switch the RAID10 Volume to RAID5 in the operating system.

Is this a known problem with the RAID5. Does anyone has a hint how to solve the problem???

best regards,

Daniel

Answers

• Travis-Acer
    Travis-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 681 Acer Crew
    Options

Daniel,

To better assist you with an answer, could you please let us know what size HDD's are being used? 

As I understand it, Intel's Rapid Storage Technology 10.6 cannot support volumes over 2TB in size.  If you are using four 1TB HDD's in RAID 5, it would be larger than this and may cause issues with the install.

• Daniel
    Options

Hi Travis,

the size of the HDD's being used is 500GB for each HDD. Two of the HDD's are acer origin components WD5000AAKX the additional HDD's are also WD5000AAKX. So normally the complete volume should not be larger than 2TB. I've also tried a created RAID 5 volume built-up with three disks but this one didn't work either in the setup process.

At least i tried the setup with the acer smart setup v.2.1 but it caused the same problems.

best regards,

Daniel

p.s.: Excuse me if my english isn't the best, i'm from germany :-)

• Travis-Acer
    Travis-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 681 Acer Crew
    Options

Daniel,

Thank you for the additional information.  Could you please provide screenshots showing the problem?

• Daniel
    Options

Hi Travis,

i'm sorry but i don't have any screenshots and for now no chance to reproduce the problem.

Less time forced me to install the server using a fine working RAID 10 volume now.

I don't know if you have the possibility to generate the error using the same configuration as i had.

Please let us know if you get any solutions regarding this issue. It might be interesting for further installations.

Best regards

Daniel

• Fletcher-Acer
    Fletcher-Acer VIP Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

Creating RAID 5 can be accomplished using ACER Smart Setup Version 2.1 AC100 dated 09/12/2012 or by entering the RAID setup manually, by using CTRL + I. If downloading the new Acer Smart setup Version 2.1 AC100 fails to setup the RAID 5 properly, please try the manual method. Restart the unit and start tapped CTRL + I to enter into the RAID SETUP MENU. Now you will ask to: CREATE RAID VOLUME. Follow the instructions on setting up a RAID 5. Also, the newest version of Smart Setup is 2.1 AC100 which can be downloaded from our website:

LINK:  http://www.support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3911

• trytobepro
    trytobepro Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi everybody

I have same problem with raid1. The windows 2008 R2 did not find Hd and stop installation. When set STA configuration to IDE, the installation success!

My hd are the same WD 500 Gb. Any solution suggest!

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.