acer aspire s7 391 stuck on legacy BIOS

Options
g_newbee
g_newbee Member Posts: 5 New User

By accident, I changed my BIOS from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.  Now when I turn it on, it quickly flashes every 5 sconds, and screen is always black (no Acer logo screen, nothing).  I tried FN + F2 to bring up the BIOS settings menu again but it doesn't work (that's the key combo I used to get BIOS menu up when I switch it to Legacy BIOS by accident).  Is there a different key combo to bring up BIOS menu again so I can switch it back to UEFI? 

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Not FN + F2, just F2. Start rapidly tapping as soon as you push start.

• g_newbee
    Options

shoot, that didn't help.  The Aspire owner's manual say to use FN + F2 to bring up bios, that's why I thought it should work.  Thanks for trying to help though.  BTW, while in Legacy BIOS mode, I thought I should be able to insert a bootable memory stick with windows 7 on it to try to install windows from there, but it won't do that either.  I read some forums that for this model say to press FN + ESC to boot from USB, but no luck.  I'm now wondering if there is a jumper on the motherboard that will reset the bios.  I can't find anything on forums about that though so probably not.

• philetus
    Options

You are running Windows 8, not 8.1?

Yes. This one does say use Fn+F2. Hold Fn+F2 down and start it. Don't let go until it's obvious that it's not going into bios.

Try tapping F12 when it starts and see if the F12 bios menu will come up. If this will work, you will be able to boot from a Windows usb and possibly get into bios.

• g_newbee
    Options

I tried both options, FN + F2 real fast on start and tried F12 as well.  No luck.  Shoot.  Is there a way to reset the bios settings from the motherboard?  I can't think of any more options.

• philetus
    Options

I don't think this will work either, but it may give you some kind of option.

Hold Alt+F10. Turn it on and continue holding until it does something.

• g_newbee
    Options

ALT+F10 didn't help either.  So I found that if I put a memory stick and hold FN+ESC then it will read from the stick.  However, it wont boot from the stick.  I tried WinPE, Win7, Win8 bootable mem sticks that I can boot from on my other laptop.  Just to clarify since this thread is so long, what my Aspire is doing is:  when I turn it on the little blue light by the battery light will flash on for 2 seconds, the screen does a dim flash for like half a second, then it seems to do nothing for 5 seconds and keeps repeating this cycle indefinately.  I've never seen anything like it. 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

On a different UEFI BIOS computer, create Windows 10 installation media with the iso using the media creation tool.  Make sure you select "Both" for the Architecture.

Bothwin10.png

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Boot the Windows 10 installation media on the computer that you messed up and it should give you an opportunity to access the UEFI/BIOS.

If the above doesn't work, take it to a computer shop and have them disconnect your hard drive.  You (they) should now be able to access the UEFI/BIOS.  Load the defaults.  And then put a sticky note on your computer reminding you never to mess with the BIOS settings again.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • g_newbee
    Options

Well, I'm taking it to a computer shot.  Here's the latest:

I tried removing the hard drive, and next tried removing also the battery.  No luck accessing the BIOS or booting from any type of media I created.  The problem is that I can't get the machine to boot from anything on a USB.  I tried Win10, Win8 and Win7, and FreeDOS.  I tried FAT32 and NTFS formatted USB sticks.  To boot from these I tried F12 and ALT+F10 but never would any boot menu come up or would it read from any of the USB sticks to try to boot from these medias.

One interesting thing I found.  If I close the laptop for about half hour while the powercord is plugged in, the fan will come on full speed.  After opening the laptop, there is this message on the screen: "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".  I thought, awesome, it should boot from a USB now.  Well no luck, I've tried all my boot sticks but when I insert one then press a key I expect to see their lights flash rapidly to indicate they're being read, but that doesn't happen.  Instead, on the screen the same "No bootable device..." message is repeated.

At this point, I give up and it's going to cost money to fix it :-(