Upgrade to Windows 10 created boot up failure

Options
fem
fem Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Aspire Switch 10 previously running 8.1 and I accepted the upgrade to Windows 10 from the official Microsoft site. I got to the screen that started the download, left it connected to wi-fi and power and returned the next morning to a screen that said it was restoring the previous version of windows. After another day of that, it did not change. Occasionally it will briefly show the Acer welcoming template, then give a quick flash of a white sqaure and return to the message that it is restoring the previous version of windows. I tried to break this cycle with keystrokes ctrl+del, ctrl+esc, alt+F10, alt+del and alt+ esc.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

a) I have seen it take 6 hours to restore

b) Usually this happens if you have not installed all possible 8.1 updates first

c) if all else fails, start the restore process from the BIOS. Not sure about a Sw10 but an alt-F12 when the ACER logo appears may work.

• fem
    Options

I tried alt+F12 but it did not break the cycle, nor did alt+F10, alt+del,nor several other alt+combinations. The user manual states alt+F2  "during the POST while the computer logo is being displayed" will get to the BIOS, but it doesn't! The cycle when I turn it on is:

1st- the Acer trade mark followed by a circle of revolving dots,

2nd- black screen,

3rd- a white rectangle outline flashes and then returns to a black screen,

4th- "Attempting to recover installation...." is displayed at the bottom and then replaced by , 

5th- "Recovering previous version of Windows...... " and then

6th- after several minutes this cycle repeats.

I let this continue for over 24 hours with no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

OK one last thing to try:

Turn the computer on. When the ACER logo appears hold the power button in until the computer shuts down. Repeat three times. The next time it should go into the recovery page.

On my R11 (R3) if I press the start button and then hold down alt+F12 until something happens, it will go into the repair process. If that does not work, try the above.

ps you need to hold down alt-F12 as soon as you press the power button, not when the logo appears. My error.

• fem
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions but they did not break the cycle. I re-read your ideas and tried them several times. Do you have any other ideas?