S7-392 can only detect one 128gb ssd

Options
keyanddoor
keyanddoor Member Posts: 2 New User

laptop died shutdown suddenly, booted it up and saw an error message about boot media failure. changed from UEFI to legacy and realised raid status was failed and they could only detect one of the two 128gb SSD. i have tried all known methods over the net like doing a battery reset and updating the bios etc but to no avail. it seems one of my ssd is really down and i am out of warranty. i really need to recover the data inside as it is critical. i have disasembled the laptop and found that the battery was bloated (but it is still working). i took out the SSD and cleaned it up a bit and slotted it back firmly. i did not put the battery back in since it was bloated. I then booted up with the direct power charger but the PC still only detects one SSD.

i am suspecting that it is not the SSD that is defective but something between the SSD and the motherboard. Usually a PC can detect even a dead SSD. My laptop cannot even detect the 2nd SSD. I understand that the 2 SSDs are on the same chip (1 on each side). I have tried my best to visually inspect both sides but found nothing out of the ordinary.

Is there any luck with me ever getting back my critical data?

Answers

• jumpman1229
    jumpman1229 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

If I were you, I would order a mSATA to USB adapter such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-mSATA-Adapter-Disk-Driver/dp/B00CJE7BRA

If you have access to another PC, this would be a good way to try and test your SSD. If it mounts, I would look into cloning your SSD.

• keyanddoor
    keyanddoor Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

i don't mind buying it to test but i am sceptical it will see both 126gb ssd. i have found other's attempt at mounting the 2 x 128gb ssd in other systems and they are all only able to see 1 x 128gb, they mentioned that the possible reason is that the 2 x 128gb ssd is configured in a hardware raid and thus only acer s7 can see the 2 ssds.