S7-392-6832 won't boot, black screen with blinking cursor in top-left

TallLefty21
TallLefty21 Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm attempting to troubleshoot an S7-392, I have limited experience with Acer laptops as I'm typically a Dell guy so I'm hoping someone can help out.  Here's exactly what's happening...

1. Power on the laptop (whether on battery or the power supply makes no difference).

2. See the Acer splash screen for a split second

3. See an Intel Rapid Storage Tech screen with information on the RAID0 config

4. Goes to a black screen with the cursor flashing in the top-left.

The laptop is running Windows 10 and was working fine for 2+ years.  This seems like a common issue, I've read various articles/forum posts around the web but unfortunately none have helped.

- The process of holding down the power button for 30 seconds, etc.

- Holding a combination of the Fn keys

I can get into the BIOS and as mentioned above the machine is seeing a RAID0 configuration with two 60 GB drives. 

I cannot get into Safe Mode or any kind of Windows troubleshooting.  If I hold F2/F9/F10 I go into the BIOS and am prompted to reload the default config.  I'm assuming that will NOT format the HDD since it's only in the BIOS but I'm not sure with Acer laptops.  Can anyone provide some knowledge there?  I'm guessing reloading the default BIOS config is my next logical step but I have no way to back up the data.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I've seen that blinking cursor before. Left the system overnight and it got done with whatever.

Try pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del when the cursor is blinking. Does anything happen ?

• TallLefty21
    TallLefty21 Member Posts: 2 New User

When the cursor is flashing no keys strokes are recognized besides CTRL+ALT+DEL.  Can't enter the BIOS at that point.