S3-391 doesn't detect SSD

Arjuki
Arjuki Member Posts: 3 New User

I have Acer S3-391 with Windows 7.

The original 500GB Hitachi hdd failed and I decided to replace it with 240GB Kingston SSD drive (model V300). 

Problem is that even BIOS (latest v1.29) doesn't detect it.

BIOS lists HDD0 as "None" and HDD1 as "SATA SDD", which is probably the integrated 20GB SDD drive.

Any hdd I have tested with, will be detected normally, but not this SDD drive.  SDD drive is new and I have tested it with other computer and it works fine.

Unfortunately I don't have any other SSD drive to test with.

Does this "BIOS" model support SSD drives at all ?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

What does diskmgmt.msc show ?

I switched the WD 500GB for a Samsung EVO in my R3 and other than being A Lot faster there was no problem.

• Arjuki

That's exactly what I expected too.

Currently I have no bootable disk, because original disk failed and new SSD is not detected.

I'm not able to restore my backup images.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

At this point I would add the SSD as a slave to one of my other computers and see what is going on. Does the S3 BIOS require UEFI ? Can you change to Legacy ?

• Arjuki

As I wrote previously, I have tested SSD with other computer and it works fine.

This BIOS V1.29 has no option to switch between UEFI and LEGACY

My S3-391 came with WIN7 and had BIOS V1.17 and the latest version of BIOS is V1.29 and that is the version I currently have .

There is no UEFI available for this model.

If I have understood correctly, S3-391 which came originally with WIN8, has this "UEFI", which probably supports SSD, because there is so many posts about them.

But I would like to know if anyone has S3-391 which had WIN7 and which uses "old BIOS" ( = V1.XX), who has been able to install SDD as a replacement for original HDD.