S3 256 SSD crashed 3 times & out of warranty. Will they ever be reliable? should I buy another

MDACER
MDACER Member Posts: 5 New User

I bought an ACER Aspire S3 in July 2012.  The performance was great, but the laptop started rebooting and freezing, until months later, when I could not reboot it.  It was an SSD hardware error with a lot of system modules corrupted.  It got fixed under warranty the first time, then only 5 months later, the disk crashed again, but this time, they charged me for the replacement and shipping expenses.  After paying over $1000 you'd think I would have a quality product without having to pay another $250 including expedited shipping to get a known hardware problem fixed for good.  So now, 2 years later, the disk crashes again.  THIS IS A JOKE.  Although I like ACER and I would have bought another one, can aynone tell me whether I should buy another ACER SSD.  I'm looking at the ACER R7-372T???

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

There are disk analysis programs like CHKDSK that can tell you if there are problems.

• MDACER

Thanks for the advice.  I ran chkdsk /f several times with only 4 bad sectors showing, but laptot would freeze at restart.  When I ran chkdsk /f /r, it replaced several errors on the drive and now I have over 450 bad sectors.  I managed to restart the laptop, but several system executables cannot start or don't work, including for example firefox, HP print driver, Skype etc etc.  I cannot trust my computer and will probably need to replace the ssd drive again, or buy another computer.  That's over $1000 wasted in less than 4 years!!!  Does Acer know what they're doing with SSD drives?  Should I ever trust buying an ACER again???

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I've never had an SSD problem on my computer, so its probably just a hardware issue on that laptop. Have you tried reinstalling windows yet? Press alt+f10 on boot.
  • MDACER

Thanks for the advice.  I have restored windows the last 2 disk crashes, but it took me a couple of days to restore my own purchased programs/software/accounting, taxation etc, not to mention outlook calendars and contacts etc.  So I don't want to waste my time any longer on a computer that has a faulty ssd drive.  I would rather buy a more reliable computer and start reloading my software on the new platform.  My time is too precious to keep restoring only to crash worse a couple of weeks later. 

How long have you had your SSD running withouth trouble?  I basically lost faith in ACER and its SSD hardware.

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Eh, i would say about a year or two.
  • MDACER

Well I hope your SSD lasts as long as your computer does.  So the life time of my 3 previous SSD's were 11 months, 6 months and the last one actually went for 2years and 3 months.... but now it's dead again.... RIP   I don't know if I can trust them any more!!!!

Can an ACER rep answer the question about reliability so that I can decide whether to invest in ACER again.  I'm tempted to move on to ASUS just because I've been burned too many times!!!  This is the most expensive computer I ever owned, yet the LEAST reliable because of the SSD drive.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Have 3 tabs and a netbook with SSDs & Win 10, all working fine.

• MDACER

That's encouraging to hear!  Thanks