R7-371T spontaneous black screen - power failure

sjm01
sjm01 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

My R7-371T has started spontaneously black screening on battery power when the battery still shows 25-35% power remaining.  This has happened several times in the past few months. I usually use the computer with the power supply plugged in or on battery for a couple hours (not dropping below 50% power) and have never had a black screen under these conditions.  When I occasionally use battery power longer and get below 35%, that's when the issue occurs.

When it happens, the computer goes from on to off instantly.  There is no blue screen, no hibernation/standby, no crash log, no error message in Windows Event Viewer (other than a critical error message from the reboot that points to Windows Kernel Power with all bug check codes showing "0").  I've run the AcerCare battery diagnostic and used batteryinfoview, and neither indicates any problem.  

I don't think this is a battery calibration issue, because if it were, I would expect the system to go into hybernation rather than spontaneous and instant shutdown.  I'm leaning towards a battery cell defect because, if it were a motherboard problem, I wouldn't expect the problem to be isolated to battery only events and only when the battery is below 35%.  The problem doesn't appear to be software related because it will shut down even if I'm not doing anything, and it always occurs when the computer is using only OEM hardware with nothing connected to it.

Any suggestions on further diagnostics that could be tried would be appreciated, but please don't suggest reverting to the factory disk image, reinstalling windows or running in safe mode.  I have an identical R7-371T that I purchased shortly after buying the first one for use as a backup and I'm going to image my drive over to that machine if I can't figure out a way to further diagnose hardware on this one.  This one is out of warranty, and while I'd be OK changing out a defective battery, I don't think it would be cost effective to change the motherboard. 

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The next time you boot, does it report an improper shutdown ? If not then it was probably deliberate. Try changing your Control Panel>Power settings. It could be a registry issue.

• sjm01

Tinkerer

Yes, the shutdown is reported as abnormal in event viewer.  It reports a critical error message.  After I manually power-on the system on following the failure, the event viewer message points to Windows Kernel Power as being the cause of an unintended shutdown with all bug check codes showing "0"

• padgett

Then just for S&G try tightening all of the screws on the back panel (think there are 12) with particular attention to ones in center. My R3 has a microswitch next to one of the center screws and if get loose and the switch opens it will cut power to the unit.

• sjm01

Tinkerer

Thanks. This unit was serviced by Acer under warranty to get the original/defective keyboard replaced.  it's probably worth me opening it up to make sure that the battery connector was properly reconnected and to look over whether there might be any microswitches like what you've referenced.

• padgett

If this happens only on battery, that would be a good idea. From your description I am leaning toward a hardware issue, doubly if it was opened before (on a car always check the last thing you fixed when something odd stops working).

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon

if you have a second one and you suspect the battery, it is easy enough to swap batteries, and see if the problem migrate with it.