New Acer Aspire S5-371. Windows 10 Anniversary update breaks trackpad use.

Options
WilliamG
WilliamG Member Posts: 29 New User

Vrey frustrating! Have confirmed through multiple installations and roll backs that the trackpad becomes near unusable after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update on my new Acer Aspire. The trackpad stutters across the screen, and the only resolution is to roll back to pre-Anniversary.

I've confirmed with THREE fresh installations. Each time, prior to the Anniversary update, the trackpad is fine. After? NOT fine. In all cases, an external mouse works fine, but some driver is getting messed up with the Anniversary update, and I don't know what to do to fix it!

Smiley Sad

Answers

• AvidSurvivalist
    AvidSurvivalist Member Posts: 24

Tinkerer

Options

My touchpad is not working at all after the update and the only thing Acer told me is that I should have Windows 10 Home instead of Pro... They told me that's why it's not working -_- Ugh just return your computer and something that's not an Acer!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

WilliamG,

I'm going to suggest something that has a low probability of working.  However, last year when Windows 10 rolled out, sometimes there was a conflict with the realtek audio driver that caused the touchpad to skip.  This glitch happened to some people, but not to others.

Try this:

1.  Go to device manager and uninstall/delete your realtek audio driver.

rtaudio.PNG

2. After it uninstalls, restart your computer.

3.  Wait a little while to see if Microsoft automatically  gives you a new realtek driver or for the time being, just use what Microsoft gives you.  It will probably say "High definition audio device" or microsoft might give you a new realtek driver.

4.  Check to see if it helps your touchpad

5.  If my suggestion doesn't work, all you have to do is re-install the realtek audio driver from either Acer Care Center or Acer downloads website.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • WilliamG
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion. I had come across that when googling the issue. Sadly, it doesn't help. Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad

I'm just so frustrated. Brand new laptop and it's awful to use. Smiley SadSmiley Sad

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Ok, I guess I would probably give Acer a call.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • WilliamG
    Options

I already did. They told me to wait for Microsoft to fix it.

Can't even believe it..

• DanyXP
    DanyXP Member Posts: 17 New User
    Options

Same here, E 13,touchpad dead, like last year. And this time there is no new driver or bios in drivers page (just checked, they all are the same 2015 drivers) to fix it...what now? 

• guruguys
    guruguys Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

After a lot of research the problem should be resolved by booting to bios (settings / update & security / recovery / advanced startup / restart now /) choose to boot to BIOS/UEFI.

Change the BIOS trackpad settings from ADVANCED to BASIC.

This fixed my problem with the trackpad lag after Windows 10 Anniversary update. 

• DanyXP
    Options
    We already know that guruguys, but that's not really a solution, since we lose a lot of trackpad gestures...that's funny because w10 anniversary update is supposed to bring new gestures, lol...
  • WilliamG
    Options
    Yeah that is not a solution. Trackpad becomes almost pointless when you lose two-finger scrolling etc.
  • guruguys
    Options
    It's better in my situation from rolling back pre anniversary update and having a totally useless lagged track pad. I didn't see this workaround listed here so was just trying to help.
  • WilliamG
    Options
    Sure. Thank you. But that solution won't work for most. Smiley Sad
  • DanyXP
    Options
    Sorry I didn't mean to be rude, but since I saw that "solution" so many times now (even last year with the same problem, with w8 > w10 upgrade) that I thought somebody already posted that in THIS particular thread...
  • guruguys
    Options
    I have less experience with the problem , I've had it occur with outdated Wireless drivers before but I did not come along this work around until after an hour hour-and-a-half searching, but I find this thread early on.
  • WilliamG
    Options

Do we have any updates on the trackpad situation? It's driving me crazy. Smiley Sad

• lifo
    lifo Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

Yesterday I called to Acer support. They told me that this issue was already reported by some people and that they're working on the fix. But no ETA was given. I also started a new topic, but no response there yet. I think they should speed up, because they could lose customers. Meanwhile I rolled back to v. 1511 and I'm waiting for updated BIOS/drivers whatever... Smiley Sad

• DanyXP
    Options
    Wait, we have to wait a fix from who? And update from Windows or a new driver from Acer?
  • lifo
    Options

From the conversation with support I understand that we need new drivers from Acer. It has something to do with Intel I2C driver or BIOS or maybe power management. On my laptop - E5 575G it seems that problem disappears when CPU is on load.

Windows 10 AU probably brings changes in kernel(under the hood) and Acer has to reflect these changes with updated drivers/BIOS.

I hope it won't take long... Smiley Wink

• WilliamG
    Options

That sounds about right. I really hope Acer addresses this as soon as possible! Smiley Sad

• lifo
    Options

Btw I found out that I din't installed

Turbo BoostIntelTurbo Boost Driver11.0.0.118168.1 MB2016/05/04Download

After I installed it, touchpad became a bit more responsive, but it still isn't working butter smooth as before AU and CPU usage goes up to 25% only when moving touchpad on desktop with no other programs opened(when I use mouse, CPU usage is 1-3%)...

• WilliamG
    Options

Sad... So sad to have a new computer that doesn't work properly, with no fix in sight. Smiley Sad