Major Stability Issues

tnpease
tnpease Member Posts: 10 New User

I have an Aspire R471T .

Since I bought it in early January, it has had a major and some minor Win10 updates.  I have updated the video and audio drivers from the Acer website.  I have paid for McAfee LiveSafe.

Yet...

I still encounter Blue-Screens-Of-Death [BSODs] every other time I use the laptop.  The BSODs display different windows componets responsible for the reboot.  This happens whether or not I'm using the battery, whether or not I'm using a wireless keyboard/mouse, on various WiFi networks.

I've also had different browsers (Edge, Firefox) spontaneously close.

When I updated the drivers a week ago, the "Restarting" screen stayed up for 15 minutes before I forced a shut-down.  Once after that, the computer froze while popping up a right-click menu from the task bar (bottom of the screen).

Should I try to get a refund or is there something else I can try to diagnose the problem(s)???

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

R3 or R5  -471T?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I'd try disabling McAfee.

Have had no issues on R3 and R5 but removed McAfee and am using both Defender and EMET set "paranoid".

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

It's definitely easier to help you if you give full model number.  That will reveal if you have Haswell or Broadwell or Skylake.....and will make it possible to advise on drivers and BIOS.

But I'd probably just start over if I had that many problems going on.  Much easier to reset to factory condition rather than spending hours troubleshooting what went wrong.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDU2OTcxMDU1L3NpZC92ZU9jdXZLbQ%3D%3D

• tnpease

I have a R5-471T

• tnpease

The model number is R5-471T-52EE 

mfg date 2015/10/26

• tnpease

padgett --

EMET [Enhanced Migration Experience Toolkit] is a heavily configured app/utility. 

Any suggestions (or documentation URL) on minimal settings for factory fresh environment (windows10+preinstalled apps)?

• tnpease

To install the Cisco VPN client v5, I (temporarily??) enabled UNSIGNED kernel-mode drivers, but crashes were happening before I did that.

Is this relevant?

• tnpease

I'm ***just now*** having malware pop up when I use the Acer Care Center to pop-up the Edge browser to view the Acer support center.

(malware says to call 1-844-438-9402 to fix)

The registered McAfee does not remove the malware.

I followed the instructions on

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-tech-support-scam-popups/

and it did not work.

UGH!!!!!!!!

• IronFly

do a windows reset but backup your personal data first.

press Alt+F10 at boot and follow onscreen instructions.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

a) I've seen Defender find/remove that malware. Tell it to run a full scan & take a long break.

b) I just set EMET (think 5.2 is current) for "maximum security" and everything "On", "Enabled" or app space "Opt In".

• tnpease

I reset windows (erased all apps -- i.e. factory reset???).

I did windows-update and updated Acer-supplied Audio driver(s) 6.0.1.7628 and wLAN Driver 12.0.0.137.  Updated Acer Quick Access Application.

Why is there no video update available?

I installed EMET5.5 (express settings).

I installed my must-have Cisco VPN Client.  It works.

I'm now waiting for a spontaneous restart...drum roll please.

• IronFly

Yes, you did it correctly.

finger crossed. Smiley Happy

• tnpease

I did a windows reset  as instructed.  I only installed the software that was critical to my needs.

The Acer Care Center crashed once, when displaying drivers needing an update.

The Intel HD video driver crashed and immediately recovered.  Is there a new video driver available?

No BSODs.  Yet.