Is the R13 pen N-Trig?

Options
rvalle83
rvalle83 Member Posts: 5 New User

Is the R13 pen N-Trig? It looks exactly like the Dell pen which is Synaptics. All of the news sites and reviews I've seen online suggest N-Trig, but I just can't get over how much it looks like a Synaptics pen. Does anyone know?

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

"Acer Aspire R13 Convertible Ultrabook 2560 × 1440 with N-Trig pen"

At IFA 2014 in Berlin Acer presents a new series of convertible Tablet PC with active digitizer and 13.3-inch screen with high resolution: are the Aspire R13, with specific Ultrabook.
    Featuring an all metal, just an inch thick and prominent features, the Acer Aspire R13 13.3-inch screens have a resolution of 1920 × 1080 (IPS) or 2560 × 1440 (IGZO) protected by a glass Corning Gorilla Glass and 3 supported by N-Trig active digitizer DuoSense.

http://www.tabletpc.it/it/2014/09/03/acer-aspire-r13-convertibile-ultrabook-2560x1440-con-penna-n-trig/

• rvalle83
    Options

I've already seen that article. I am still suspicious that it is not accurate. Notice that they claim the cpu is core M. We know for sure that is incorrect. Clearly that report is not completely trust worthy.

Also if you look at some images on google you will see that the new Acer pen is absolutely identical to the Dell Synaptics pen in every minute detail but looks nothing like the recent N-Trig pens like the surface 3 and duosense pens. That doesn't make you wonder?

Are there any official spec sheets or anything directly from Acer?

• shadyguido
    shadyguido Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I have the R13 (1920x1080) and it is NEITHER wacom NOR N-Trig. I've tried both the surface 3 pen and a wacom pen to no avail.  The Acer R13 pen is on its way, and I will report back once I receive it.

I suspect that the screen in fact has no digitizer in it and the Acer pen is merely one of those cheap "active" pens that works on any ipad, etc.

• rvalle83
    Answer ✓
    Options

I did some more googling and I am pretty sure now that the new Acer Active Pen for R13 is infact Synaptics technology. Check out this link: http://www.tabletpc.it/it/2014/10/30/acer-active-stylus-per-switch-10-e-switch-11-ufficiale-con-tecnologia-synaptics/

The author only mentions the Switch 10 and 11 but at the Acer store you can see that it is the same pen sold for the R13. If you're only using it for notetaking it may still be adequate. I was planning on using it for professional art applications, so this is a total deal breaker for me. I will have to return my R13 tomorrow.

• holz1987
    holz1987 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

hello,

one question. does it mean u only can use synpatics pen on acer r13 or is it also possible to use wacom digitizers ?

thanks Smiley Happy

• rvalle83
    Options

Hi holz1987. You cannot use Wacom or N-Trig pens on the Acer R13. The only pen you can definitely use is the Aspire Active Stylus(R13, Switch 11 & 12) found here: http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/pd/ThemeID.35703000/productID.306560900/parentCategoryID.66268200

There is another pen at the Acter store for the older R7 that is N-Trig, so make sure you don't get that one by accident.

It may be possible to use other Synaptics pens like the Dell one or the HP one. I believe Asus is also making a tablet with a Synaptics pen now. I havn't tested any of the non-Acer Synaptics pens though, so I'm not 100% sure they all work the same.

If you have any other questions about the R13 just ask. I actually still have access to it since I couldn't return it so I gave it to my brother. It's a great laptop, but the pen does not give pressure sensitivity in most professional art programs. It's really only adequate for handwriting. I need to buy something with a Wacom pen for my digital art work.

• holz1987
    Options

Hello rvalle83,

thanks for your answer! Smiley Happy

Which one of the r13 do u have? The Full HD or the QHD? Did u have any problems with writing so far with the pen? Is it writing constantly, even if u write a longer text? Does is only recognize ur hands on the display while ur wrting on one note or also if u write on other softwares? So does the writing get interrupted by touching the display with ur hands?
    How often do have to change ur battery so far`?
    And at last: Would u recommend this r13 for writing with the pen?

Sorry for giving u that much questions Smiley Very Happy

Thanks in advance!
    Julien

• rvalle83
    Options

I have the full HD model. The screen looks pretty nice.

It has decent palm rejection when the pen is very close to the screen. The palm rejection worked for every app that I tried. It basically just doesn't recognize touch input while the pen is a certain distance from the screen.

The pen is really not very good even for just writing. N-Trig pens are better and Wacom pens are much better. The curves won't come out perfectly smooth no matter how good your handwriting is. It's better than a cpacative pen or the older Synaptics pens on those Dell tablets, but that's it. You've definitely got better options out there if writing is the most important thing for you.

The laptop itself is great though. I love the hinge design because of all the dfferent angles you can set it to. The battery life is very good. I got at least six hours of heavy use per charge. With power saving settings I was getting up to 8hrs.

• holz1987
    Options

Thanks a lot for your advice! Smiley Happy

Well, I think I need some time to see where my priorities are, because I love the hinge design as well! Its just a pity that the pen is not as good as wacom or Ntrig.