I have an R3-131T Getting conflicting info about SSD upgrade

jamjons
jamjons Member Posts: 9 New User

What is the definitive answer. Can I or Can I not upgrade from the 32 GB SSD integrated drive to something larger? If yes what do you recommend as a suitable install?

Answers

• Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I also have an R3 and it is confusing but if you have a 32 GB SSD, probably not. There were at least two different motherboards used in the R3-131T series and only one was upgradable. In general (not always) if the last four of the model number starts with a "P" and it had a 500GB hard disk, it is likely upgradable, "C" & small SSD is probably not.

So sorry, if you have one with a 32 GB flash, it is probably not easily upgradable (but can use an SD card or an external USB SSD.  a 3.0 SSD can be pretty quick).

• jamjons

S/N  NXG10AA005

• jamjons

I am currently using an external USB attached HD. Was just hoping to get away from it..    Full model is R3-131T-C1YF

• padgett

See here. Sorry but that is the minimal one. Why Acer made the same system in such radially different performance models I do not know. Will say I paid a lot more for mine because I wanted the small (11.6" screen) form factor with a lot of 64 bit performance.

• Hi jamjons,

According to the part number of your model, there is no HDD DIP socket on the motherboard. Here is the P/N of your motherboard:

Spoiler
    NB.G0Y11.00AMAIN BD.W/CPU.N3050.32G.EMMC

LT-R3-131T-HDD socket

Hi Padgett,

There are 8 motherboards for Aspire R3-131T and for example with the same processor+HDD:

Spoiler
    NB.G0Y11.006MAIN BD.W/CPU.N3050.W/HDD.DIP
    France
  • padgett

That does not surprise me but don't forget that almost any difference including the standard ram chip (2, 4, or 8 GB) could trigger a different MB model number. Certainly the N3050 and N3700 MBs are different.

I did a lot of study of the different models before selecting my -P344 including rearching the Intel ARK for things like video speed. One factor was being designed for 64 bit and having an upgradable HDD (now a 480 MB/s SSD which made the most difference in performance) in a ventless system. Also have 8GB ram but in retrospect, 4GB was probably enough since do not need any VM machines. OTOH if I load a virtual Linux then 8 GB is good.

They say the 11.6" screen is not popular but I really like the compact form factor when travelling ( first "luggable" was a 9" & always prefered compact systems) & use external monitors at home.

• jamjons

My MB does have a space for , and a bracket to hold an update for a drive but I do not see any cable connect points available.

• jamjons

System came with the standard 2GB RAM and the N3050 processor.  From what I can see there is a bracket on the motherboard for a drive but I do not see anywhere to hook a cable