I am having difficulty finding a cable lock for my acerR14 lap top. The slot is much too small for

Options
RonM
RonM Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I am having difficulty finding a cable lock for my acerR14 laptop.  The slot is much too small for the usual cable locks.  Calling acer support was to no avail.  It is difficult to imagine that an engineer who designed the laptop would screw up on the size of the slot.  Help anybody??

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I saw one place saying it has a (optional) Kensington lock and here are two Acer Direct sells

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Laptop_Security/prod.asp

Here's the specs on the 

Kensington Security Slot

2016-03-03_1904.jpg

• SScott1063
    SScott1063 Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options

I'm having the same issue.  I really like the laptop so far but this security cable issue has been a real headache.  I've been to four places so far and now here I am trying to get one online as I have an event next week and I'd like to keep my new machines secure.

If Acer is going to have a non-standard slot they should carry an appropriate cable in their Accessories area.

And there is room on the device for a standard slot so why didn't they go with that.  Does having this non-standard slot look that much cooler?  Is it any more secure?  Is it the tipping point that generates a lot more sales?

• SScott1063
    Options

It doesn't say anywhere on the drawing that I see so I'm guessing those units are millimeters?

And you say these are the specs on the Kensington Security Slot.  So are those the specs for what most people have or for the slot on the R14 and R15 (and maybe others) laptops?

• philetus
    Options

They are in millimeters. I can't find specs on the R14 slot so I figured you could measure your's and compare.

It will not keep the laptop secure. A sharp tug will rip it out, damaging the laptop.

It gives the thief a choice, does he want a damaged laptop? 

I would not trust one of these to keep my laptop from being stolen.

• SScott1063
    Options

Thanks for responding.  I understand it's not a completely secure way to go but hopefully it is a deterrent to most.

I'm not sure if the measurements will help unless I can find some cables that post the dimensions of their anchor point as well.

This is really disappointing.  I spend a good deal more than planned to get a higher quality machine and now I have to fret about it and do extra things to protect it at events since I can't use the usual almost industry standard solution.

• philetus
    Options

The Kensington diagram IS the measurements of the slot their locks will fit into.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

The specs for R14 R5-471T are Kensington Security Slot.  Not sure if that's the R14 you have.

r14.PNG

https://www.kensington.com/us/us/home#.V_DCwSgrKUk

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-lock-guide

They are putting Kensington "mini" on some newer thin laptops, but I don't think you have that.  Not 100 percent sure though since we don't know your exact laptop model.  Not sure if Acer is using the "mini" yet on any of their models.

mini.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • SScott1063
    Options

I have an Acer R15-571T-59DC, sorry I forgot to mention that in my first post.

And that first link to the Kensington site now goes to their main US page so I'm guessing they took the page down or the link got shortened or corrupted somehow.

Looking through the second article now....

• JordanB
    Options

According to Acer specs for R5-571T, your computer has the Industry standard Kensington Security Slot..  You don't have the new mini Kensington Security Slot.

571ken.PNG

If you click on the link below, and then click "Products" at the top of the screen, you can look at all of the Kensington products.  Please contact Kensington for more information about their products.

https://www.kensington.com/us/us/home#.V_EUkygrKUk

• JordanB
    Options

Just one last thing to add.......

If I were buying, I would get the mini in the link below because it works on both the new Kensington mini slot and the regular Kensington slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixo3QSkE1CM

• SScott1063
    Options

Well, I think the docs may be wrong or incomplete, maybe missing the word 'mini'.  The cable and lock I've used for years on my previous laptopAcer-R5-571T-left-side-sec-slot_20pc.jpg won't fit in this one and if you can see the picture I'm attaching clearly enough you'll see how small the slot is in comparison to the HDMI or other slots near it and I think that will reveal it to be a 'mini', though I could be wrong.

• SScott1063
    Options

The link you provided to the Kensington that works with both looks great.  I just wish or hope I can find one locally as my event starts tomorrow or today depending on when you're reading this.

• JordanB
    Options

If you're in a pinch, you can just swing by Walmart or Best Buy and grab something.  It should say "Kensington" or "Kensington compatible" on it.   Most Walmarts are open 24 hours/day.

• SScott1063
    Options

The Walmart idea is a good one.  Unfortunately for the Kensington minisaver they don't seem to have any in stock in my area and if I order online I could pick it up Oct. 6.

I did a search for Kensington minisavers in my area last night and found the same thing with Staples, the only place in the area my search showed as carrying them.  So I ordered one there and should receive it, direct I think, Friday or shortly thereafter.

I'll just have to be really careful with it and who I trust it with and/or keep it with me at all times while I'm at this event.  

Thanks for leading me to a device that works with either slot, though, and that seems to have other advantages like not blocking access to ports right beside it as some older designs would do.

• RonM
    Options

Hi appreciate your post. Could you please let me know if the Kensington mini really works.  Does it really make your computer more secure?  I've been looking for a solution to this problem for a long time.  Many folks do not realize the difference in the slot size as can be seen from previous comments.  Again thanks.

• SScott1063
    Options

I'll let everyone know once it comes in.

• JordanB
    Options

What happened with the lock?

• SScott1063
    Options

I was sure I responded to the last question and was logging back in to see if there was any news.

My update is that NO, the miniSaver cable I got online also does not fit in the slot.  I had three people look at it - 2 at computer stores - in case I was missing some trick but the end does not fit into the available slot.

MiniSaver-cable-end_460x481.103116.jpg

and I'm hoping you all have found a cable that does work with this laptop.

• RonM
    Options

Many thanks, SScott, for the up date.  You have saved me the aggrivation of buying and retruning a cable,  and I appreciate your post.  That means that there is still no cable that works for the small slots.  One has to wonder what the engineers were thinking when they changed the slot size.  

• SScott1063
    Options

I'm glad to help someone, Ron, I just wish it was better news for both of us.