Error code: 0xc000000d

stevearby729
stevearby729 Member Posts: 3 New User

I need help, I get Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information

File :BCD

Error code: 0xc000000d

Please help...

I purchased this at Walmart about 6 months ago and can not locate my reciept, I tried chat support but it states I am out of warranty.

thanks

Steve 

Answers

• stevearby729

Its an Acer Aspire S3-391

• I've not tested this but it may be corrected by creating a Windows UEFI installer on USB stick.
    Alternatively, a work around is to enable legacy mode in the BIOS. However, this may potentially have a downside so I would recommend you Google for further info first.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

I would suggest you to rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) from Command prompt and check if that helps.

1. Insert the Windows 8 installation media and boot the computer using the disc or USB media.

2. Once you boot using the Windows installation disc or USB media, on the Windows 8 installation window, click on Repair your computer.

3. Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. First thing you may try is the Automatic Repair. If that does not help, go for System restore. If that works fine, then create a system restore point so that next time you encounter any problems you may always restore the computer to the recent system restore point created.

4. If that does not help, then select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • stevearby729

How do I get to the command prompt from this screen? image1.JPG

• IronFly

1. Insert the Windows 8.1 installation/recovery media and boot the computer using the disc or USB media.

if you didn't make one......ask to a friend with windows 8.1 to make a windows 8.1 recovery disc/usb and boot from that.

• IronFly

or download it, using this tool from microsoft:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• aceraspires3
    aceraspires3 Member Posts: 6 New User

okay, with my aspire s3 ms2346 this is the same screen it loads after the acer logo scree loads. pressing alt+F10 only opens the setup utility.

the problem incurred is that in order to create the installation media you'll need the product key at some point, and if the product key is hidden on the bios and is not retrievable...then what?

• IronFly

with setup utility what you mean?

the windows 8.1 advanced startup options?

if so, you can open the command prompt and try the commands i posted above.

troubleshoot/advanced options/Command prompt

• den
    den Member Posts: 1 New User

Have the same prpblem with my acer

any help ?

• IronFly

I would suggest you to rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) from Command prompt and check if that helps.

1. Insert the Windows 8.x installation/recovery media and boot the computer using the disc.
    if you don't have a installation/recovery media, i suggest to download windows 8.1 enterprise trial edition:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-8-1-enterprise
    you need to burn the downloaded iso file to an USB or DVD bootable media

Note: You need to check the computer manual on how to set CD/DVD or USB drive as the first boot device in the BIOS.

2. Once you boot using the Windows installation disc, on the Windows 8.x installation window, click on Repair your computer.

3. Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options. First thing you may try is the Automatic Repair. If that does not help, go for System restore. If that works fine, then create a system restore point so that next time you encounter any problems you may always restore the computer to the recent system restore point created.

4. If that does not help, then select Command Prompt. Enter the following four commands into the prompt.

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Once the command completes, restart the computer.

• jtaps1
    jtaps1 Member Posts: 1 New User

Will using the Windows 8.1 installation/recovery media wipe all the files on my computer? 

• IronFly

it depends if you tell windows to install or not.

if you use it only to fix the error on thread title, it will not install and you will find all your personal data, once fixed.

• tkoband
    tkoband Member Posts: 1 New User

On the screen shot the previous fellow posted....you cannot get to ANY command prompts or Windows prompts.  The only thing you can get into before the pc shuts down is your setup utility where you can change boot up info by hitting ESC. I have changed my boot up info to CDROM as the first selection yet while the CD drive spins... nothing happens when you reboot. You get the BSOD again with this same error.

• kmaki261
    kmaki261 Member Posts: 1 New User

I too got my Acer from Walmart. it did not come with any CD. I too am getting this same error message, but am out of warrenty, so I paid $239.99 to get new two year warranty, and spoke with Acer third party tech support, who suggest that I pay additional money to purchase A CD of windows op system. oh, I also had trend protection. I think I will cut my looses and get a HP instead. I hate that I am out of two hundred dollars, but it is one lesson learned. I hope this helps in what not to do. 

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    In order to execute the repair outlined by ACE Iron Fly, all you need is either a recovery drive (USB), or a system repair disk (DVD).

To do that you need access to a working computer with the same OS.
    To create a USB recovery drive (need an 8GB USB drive), type "recovery drive" in the search bar and follow the procedure.
    To create a system repair disk (need a blanck DVD and DVD drive), type "backup" in the search bar, then select "backup and restore (windows7)", then in the new window on the left side select "Create a System repair disk"

Once you have either of these, you need to boot on it. To do that, you may have to enter the Bios and make either external USB (if using a US recovery drive) or CDROM (if using system repair disk) as the top boot device.

Once booted on one of these two, follow the procedure outlined by Ace Ironfly above.

I had the exact same issue recently on an R7, and did the procedure outlined by Ironfly after booting from a system repair disk and all worked out fine.